Butcher paper on the Weber

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Rings Я Us

Smoking Guru
Original poster
Jul 3, 2017
Southeast Michigan
Wanted to mention I had success using butcher paper on the 22" kettle.
I wrapped a brisket and held it for 2 hours using an indirect heat method.
My charcoal basket for the Weber kettle is the same size as the Slow and Sear. I use a water pan the size of a loaf pan just above the charcoal.
I light 3 coals to start a minion at one end and place a regular aluminum foil drip pan up next to the charcoal basket.
The basket takes up just under half the space of the grate above. The water pan blocks occasional flare ups .
When a brisket is ready to wrap , it is usually 1/3 smaller and when tightly wrapped it can safely be placed on the grate away from the coals. I had no paper char or discoloration from the heat.
Seems to have worked so far. Keep the temps under 300 and a pan over the coals to block flare ups.
IMG_20180722_200702.jpg
IMG_20180722_215610.jpg
IMG_20180722_215901.jpg

IMG_20180722_101721.jpg

I am thinking about doing my first brisket and have been debating using butcher paper or using a foil pan so this is good timing. I just hate to mess it up as right now the cheapest full brisket I can find in Toronto is around $75 for a 15#, one place quoted me $150.

Nice job Rings, I can't say enough about the Kettles versatility.

Point for sure.

Chris

Looking real nice. Juicy and tender. Bet it tasted good too! What kind of rub did you throw on it??

I am thinking about doing my first brisket and have been debating using butcher paper or using a foil pan so this is good timing. I just hate to mess it up as right now the cheapest full brisket I can find in Toronto is around $75 for a 15#, one place quoted me $150.

Nice job Rings, I can't say enough about the Kettles versatility.

Point for sure.

Chris

Haha.. thanks for the likes..

Yeah the seasoning was heavy on pepper and kosher salt. Couple teaspoons of garlic and onion powder and that was it. I normally use paprika, cumin, brown sugar and some cayenne. Didn't do it this time and that beef flavor really shines. 6 small chunks of hickory total for the first 2 loads of charcoal. Or 6 smaller chunks for 8 hours.
I scooted all the old coals up into one corner and dumped New in to restart minions twice after the initial load of 3/4 basket. Was like 3 half or 2/3 chimneys to go 12 hours low.

I would say the paper had more insulation against the heat and it took longer to get the meat hot after wrapping than foil would take. I ended up doing the oven for 20 minutes the last of it. 300° to take it to the end.. not long. Rested the brisket in the paper in the oven turned off for a little over an hour.
It went from 202 down to 160 in the paper before I cut into it.. worked out good.. no cooler or 3-4 hour rest this time.

That is some beautiful brisket!

Mike

I'm not good at being patient. I was trimming the fat cap of some skin looking fat and trying to leave an even layer as best I could.

The fat started getting warm and I didn't put it back in the fridge.. I ended up getting a couple valleys and hills in the fat cap.. haha. It needs to be cold to get a good even top with no bald spots.

Good news is that the brisket was just for myself and nobody knew. Hehe.
But after its done they look better anyway. It's all good.. not to many pools of juice and uneven coloring.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky