BUTCHER/PACKER

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

shecky

Original poster
Feb 23, 2012
Levittown Pa.
I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW IF ANYONE EVER USED BUTCHER AND PACKER'S CANADIAN BACON BRINE. THEY SAY TO ONLY BRINE FOR 24 HOURS. WAS JUST CURIOUS TO SEE IF THAT WORKED FOR ANYONE. THANKS! 

I HAVEN'T USED IT MYSELF, BUT MAYBE SOMEONE ELSE HAS AND WILL POP IN HERE SHORTLY. OH AND YOU CAN TURN OFF THE CAP LOCK WHEN YOU TYPE!
biggrin.gif

Last edited:
Welcome to SMF!

Would you update your profile to include your location, then head over to roll call & introduce yourself so we can all welcome you to SMF.

I would post your question in the bacon section, I think you will get more replies over there.

Personally I don't see how you could fully cure a loin for C. bacon in 24 hours. I use a brine cure for CB & it takes 10-14 days.

Welcome Shecky.. Is there anyway you could post a pic of the directions. I was just looking at the product on there site but it didn't give the ingredients or directions?

24 hours is a pretty short time unless they are a 1/2' thick

Thanks for the welcome! Here comes the instructions:

Mix 3.86 pounds of brine mix (they supply) with 0.40 pounds of D.Q. cure (they supply) in 2 1/2 gallons of water. Inject into meat at a 20% gain. Take remaining brine and place in a plastic container along with the meat and allow the meat to soak for 24 hours. Remove and process the meat and cook until the internal temperature reaches 160 degrees. That's it! I'll be smoking it Saturday. Wish me luck. Thanks again for the welcome. 

You are using 2.56 oz of DQ Cure #1 per gallon of water, plus salts and sugars, well within reasonable and acceptable levels.  You are injecting into a boneless pork loin which is about 3" across average, or 1.5" from the center to the outside edge and immersing in the brine, cutting that thickness in half, so you're getting a curing depth of about ¾ of an inch to penetratefrom the inside-out and from the outside-in, which could be achieved with a 20% pump if it could take that much, that would be quite a lot.  It is entirely possible for it to cure in 24 hours.

Ok, I was thinking an immersion cure. With the pump 24 hours would probably be long enough, but like pops mentioned getting 20% will be very hard to do.

Let us know how it comes out and what you thoughts are of their brine.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky