Burnt Ends, Burnt Ends and More Burnt Ends

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bonedadddy

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jun 2, 2008
Raymore, MO
Ok Ok...there are a couple of racks of baby backs in there too :-) I had to, my daughter would kill me after last weeks store bought rub/salty debacle...Today, I am using my own rub...the only change I made to it, was to use an additional half cup of brown sugar on the brisket...

So for starters, I have a small brisket - flat...that I oven roasted...in foil until 200 degrees...I kinda took the cheap/easy way out here. It was perfect this morning when we got up. The brisket is cut up, and re-rubbed...and ready to go....

The other pan has smoked sausage...cut up and rubbed the night before...so its itching for some Smoke!

Here is the start....I will post more Q later with the finished product!!!

eabaac49_IMG_3103800x600.jpg

(left: Brisket)  (right: Sausage) (Top: Baby Backs)

63e3a2bf_IMG_3104800x600.jpg

Using hickory...at about 225-250...depending on how much sun is out...

8b0d85b2_IMG_3107800x600.jpg

Cleanup Crew are already at it...They are happy I am smoking today!!!

Ahhh hahaha...that is correct...just around the corner from you two!!! Just follow the smoke...you what they say "Where there's Smoke...there's a Feast!!!!!"

That is a great looking smoke you have going there and it sounds like you better clean up the house cause company is on the way - just sayin

I got a heads up over Tom tho, my aunt and uncle live in Raymore, all I have to do is call em and ask if they detect Q in their area...gives me a starting point LOL

icon_cool.gif

Now thats one fine looking start to what I'm sure will be quite the feast too. I'll have to check back to see more I guess.

OK, here is the finished product...The Flat worked ok, but really I need a Point...there is just not enough fat in the flat to make proper burnt ends (dont get me wrong...these were scrumptious!!!)

The BabyBacks could have come out an hour earlier...I made notes for next time...

Anyways, enjoy the QVIEW :-)

15df8366_IMG_3108800x600.jpg

0a37701f_IMG_3109800x600.jpg

The Beef Burnt Ends turned out nice...but they really need more fat for perfect Burnt Ends!

d920dc8d_IMG_3110800x600.jpg

Oh the Sausage B.E. Turned out nice...very moist...melts in your mouth...and just enough sweet!!!!

717594e6_IMG_3111800x600.jpg

The BabyBacks got a little toasted....I need to take them off the first a little earlier (maybe by an hour)

cc8d62a9_IMG_3112800x600.jpg

My Girl is going to tear these up!!! I hope you are happy now Caden...these turned out pretty good!

I like rare beef most of the time, but your burnt tips remind me of a visit to New Orleans many years ago (15+?).  There is (was?) a restaurant there called Mothers.  They served a variety of very good po' boys -- which are basically subs, heros, or whatever your local area calls meat on a long bun.  Their roast beef po' boy was quite good.  They had a special version that they called "debris".  It was all the burnt / heavily browned ends from the beef that had been put into a thin gravy for soaking.  If you asked for a debris po' boy, you got this wet, very well done pieces of beef on the sub bun -- slathered in the gravy.  GOOD STUFF.

Unfortunately, Mother's changed hands and the next time I was in NO about 10 years later (before Katrina) the debris po' boy was not as good.

Looks yummy!

I lived in Orlando for a year back in the early '80s. There was a chain of BBQ places called Sonny's. I used to go into the local Sonny's for lunch and order the pulled pork, but I'd ask for the burnt ends. They thought I was nuts. They were cutting that good stuff off and chucking it! They got a kick out of this yankee ordering their throw-aways. Anyway, I'd get a what was about a double helping. Great stuff.

You brought back memories. Thanks.

Looks yummy!

I lived in Orlando for a year back in the early '80s. There was a chain of BBQ places called Sonny's. I used to go into the local Sonny's for lunch and order the pulled pork, but I'd ask for the burnt ends. They thought I was nuts. They were cutting that good stuff off and chucking it! They got a kick out of this yankee ordering their throw-aways. Anyway, I'd get a what was about a double helping. Great stuff.

You brought back memories. Thanks.
My Dad has a similar story from a restaurant down in Punta Gorda...they lived there for several years, and looked at him like he was crazy when he asked for Burnt Ends on Bun...the server Actually asked "why" did my dad want him to burn the meat....

So many different ways to enjoy...Here, we have a little restaurant called Gates BBQ...Not sure if you have heard of it...They YELL at you "Welcome To Gates...What Chu WAnt..." right when you are in the doorway...hehe...but they have a Burnt End on Bun sandwich that is out of this world.  

Also, there is a restaurant called Oklahoma Joes...it was just featured on Man VS Food....or one of those shows...Their burnt ends were really awesome to see...but the funny thing is, anybody who lives here in KC...knows that you cannot just walk up to OK JOEs and order Burnt ends...they only serve them on Thursdays...and you have to get there real real early because they run out quick.  Soooo All of you guys who saw that show...hehe...beware!!!

Anyways....these ends didnt turn out as good as I have done them in the past...I used the Flat cut of the Brisket...and should have looked around to find a Point....cause the point is what really makes a good burnt end...

Thanks for Viewing...and I love the stories!!! Keep'em coming...

Im doing a flat brisket in my MES right now and I am planning on turning them into Burnt Ends.  Once my Brisket reaches around 200 degrees I was planning on taking it to the cutting board and cutting up pieces approximately 1" in size and applying more rub on them.  Do I also sauce them at this point?  I am planning on putting them in a foil pan like Bone Daddy did.

Can I get a little help on this? 

BTW I am also doing a few racks of ribs at the same time. 

Don't forget to pause for a moment this weekend and thank the brave Men and Women who defended our freedom.  God Bless everyone in our military!  You are true heroes!!!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky