Burnt Crust

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mdrose1

Original poster
Apr 14, 2010
Missouri
Hi -- I'm a newbie and having lots of fun, but ----

I am getting a hard black crust (burned) on my pork butt. There is a nice bark (under the outer layer), but this is on the outer layer.

Meat is falling off bone and tastes great once I use a pick axe & mix together.

Am I using toooooo much SUGAR/BROWN SUGAR in my rub??

Rub goes on and #8 pork butt sits out for 1-2 hours before going in Off Set Smoker.
Using lump and hickory
Smoke for 10+ hrs at 225-250
Using a dual probe therm
smoker therm was reading about 250
grill therm was about 220 -- think the difference in temp was the height of the probes???

Internal temp 200

BBQ RUB

3 cup -- Sugar
3 cup -- Brown Sugar
1 cup -- Paprika
2 cup -- kosher salt
2 cup -- chili seasoning
2 cup -- black pepper
1 cup -- dry mustard
1 cup -- onion powder
1 cup -- garlic powder
1/3cup -- cayenne pepper

any help is appreciated

Thanks

Dick

at first when i seen the 6 cups of sugars i was thinking has to be the problem but looking at other rub recipies i have used, not made in a bulk like yours is but the sugar content is really not much difference than the ones i have used. some less, some more... the only thing i have never used is the white sugar... maybe the white sugar is what is causing the problem??? just a thought am sure someone who knows more about this will chime in soon if that could be it.

Welcome to the site! IMO you answered your own question....To much sugar!
Sugar will burn (blacken) when exposed to high heat as well when it's exposed to moderate heat over 10+ hours ... Try using less or none at all. If you want sweet, work some magic with a finishing sauce/glaze at the end of cooking. Also meat exposed to smoke...(even the TBS kind) over long cook times can very easily become over smoked (blackened) After the first 2 or 3 hours forget about flavoring woods and smoke.... You may not see it...but it's there. HTH

Fun!!

Dick, you're not using all that rub on one butt are ya??

Try using turbinado sugar (aka Sugar in the Raw). It's a bit coarser than white or brown sugar and holds up to the heat better.

What kind of smoker are you using? Could flare up happen in it that would burn the outside?

Agree with Dutch.

Dump the white sugar and use turbinado.

Maybe a little less total amount of sugar also.

I would probably just cut the white sugar entirely. Then if you need more sweet maybe add 1 C of brown, but with 3 cups brown already it should be fairly sweet.

I will try the next batch of rub without the white sugar.

Thanks to all for the input.

Dick

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky