Burger Buns

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Those buns look to be just about perfect from where I'm looking at them, nice work! RAY

Thanks Ray, they were a winner for sure. I’d make em again in a heartbeat.

Might consider a shorter spin in the kitchen-aid as others have mentioned above and see if it lightens up the texture a little next time, but that’s a nitpick because these were great with some chopped bbq and zippy Lexington dip style sauce.

Thanks for the great recipe.

Reactions: sawhorseray
Thanks Ray, they were a winner for sure. I’d make em again in a heartbeat.

Might consider a shorter spin in the kitchen-aid as others have mentioned above and see if it lightens up the texture a little next time, but that’s a nitpick because these were great with some chopped bbq and zippy Lexington dip style sauce. Thanks for the great recipe.

Yep, if you read the posts you can see where I've gone from a ten minute spin in the KA to five, makes a huge difference. Much less than five I don't know if there will be a sufficient mix. Glad you like them. RAY

I see there have been several revisions to this recipe, can one of you please revise this recipe with the final changes. I would do it but I'm horrible with stuff like this.........thanks to my dyslexia things have to be black and white for me to understand them. I'd sure like to make these for my family Sunday evening.

Thank you very much and stay safe please.
Dan

Last edited:
I have not made these yet but I just wanted people to know that they can substitute AP flour in case they don't have that bread flour aka: strong flour. It might actually make the buns lighter/ softer if that is what you are looking for. I thought this might be helpful with finding flour hasn't been an easy task around here with all the panic buying that has been going on. Also, if you happen to have a bag of wheat gluten on hand you can add
1 1/2 teaspoon per cup of AP flour which will bring the gluten up to par with the bread flour/strong flour.

This explains things 100X better than I ever could.

Last edited:
No Dan, I want the dough to pretty much be wrapped in a lump on the dough hook, then I dump it out onto the floured board and work into a bit dryer ball. I've also cut the time in the stand mixer in half from ten minutes to five. Thank you for the Like. RAY

Reactions: DanMcG
Thanks ray, I might try some hot dog buns with your recipe.

That ought to work fine Dan. Sometimes I'll make a batch with a couple of buns formed for sausage tho I seem to have better luck making them uniform when rounded. Years ago there was a guy on a old sausage site I used to frequent that made hot dog buns that came out looking perfectly uniform like store-bought. I couldn't copy that to save my life. RAY

I have a new england style bun pan but they always came out to dense.
1586079675141.png

I have a new england style bun pan but they always came out to dense.
View attachment 438681

Wow, that looks about perfect to me Dan, I'd love to be able to get a shape like that for my sausage. I guess there's a fine line in density / tenderness that's always trying to be achieved to where a bun will be soft enough on the bite but still be able to stand up to what's in it and not fall apart. I don't know If I'm putting what I trying to say right or not, I hate a bun that falls apart in my hands 1/3 of the way thru eating a burger. Now I'm going to see if I can find a NE style bun pan! RAY

I think I'm gonna try these today .

Go Rich! I used to make them with AP flour and didn't ever notice that much difference, I just started using bread flour because I was making bread. After reading what forktender forktender posted maybe AP flour tends to make them less dense, I haven't bought a bag of AP for years now, no special reason. RAY

I have 2 bags AP , 2 bags Bread , 1 bag wheat , 1 bag rye . That's standard for me , I make dough weekly .
I don't knead on the counter . Hands just been really bad lately . So is it wet coming out of the mixer ?

I have 2 bags AP , 2 bags Bread , 1 bag wheat , 1 bag rye . That's standard for me , I make dough weekly . I don't knead on the counter . Hands just been really bad lately . So is it wet coming out of the mixer ?

I wouldn't say wet but it is sticky Rich. I always flour my hands to pull it out of the mixer bowl and dump it onto my floured board. I might work it for 30 seconds or so just to get it into a ball and a little dryer for shaping. I hear you about the hands Rich, the one that held the hammer for so many years takes a hour to be able to make a fist after I get out of bed. RAY

Ray One more question, you mentioned 5 minutes in the mixer, do ya have a conversion for hand mixing?

I most often read that hand kneading and stand mixer times are about the same Dan. I don't hand knead any more than I have to after the dough comes out of the bowl, I have bad arthritis in both my hands. Like chopsaw chopsaw pointed out to me dough can be overworked, so I guess as soon as you think it'll do go for it. See how things look after kneading for five minutes. RAY

I found the stand mixer is more efficient than hand mixing.
No ratio to each method. I just knead until it feels ... right. Arthritis has forced me to the stand mixer, as others.
For buns and rolls, I use a slightly drier or stiffer dough.
For loaf, I want it limp so it forms to pan.

Never heard of a New England bun pan. Never heard of New England buns either as I haven't been to that part of the USA

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky