Burger Buns

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I just got the wife a KA for Christmas. I haven't bothered to read the manual as yet. After all, it's her toy. (cookies coming today, yum).
What speed do you run it on for kneading ?

Don't do that if you can't find a good price . Like others I have some to get you by if needed . Just let me know .

PM me your address Robert, I've got five packs left in the pantry, I'll send you a couple. RAY

Thanks so much guys. I truly appreciate it but Tracy just ordered a bunch of different bread mixes from the Preferred Pantry that will be here in a couple days. We are set for now anyway. We bought some stuff from them several years ago when we first got the bread maker and it's good stuff. I just got to where I was making my own so not to be at their mercy. At present though they are about sold out. Typically I'd accept the offer but there may be somebody out there that needs it more than I do.

Appreciative of my SMF brethren,
Robert

I love those burger buns. They look awesome. I know nothing about bread baking. Can you tell me what dry yeast is? Is that the same stuff that my wife uses in her bread machine that comes out a jar that says active dry? If so, I might like to give this a try. Also, what is strong flour? I've seen all purpose and bread flour. Is that one of those? Thanks Ray.

G

Reactions: sawhorseray
Is that the same stuff that my wife uses in her bread machine that comes out a jar that says active dry? If so, I might like to give this a try.

Yes, that is correct. There are different yeasts, some liquid, some starters for stuff like sourdough, and pitchable liquid yeast for beer brewing to name a few. What your wife has will do the job beautifully. I'm not a baker by any means but since getting the bread machine several years ago, I've made a lot of it. This is basically the same bread in a slightly different form. There may be other yeasts you can use but what you have is fine.

Robert

Reactions: RiversideSm0ker
Yes, that is correct. There are different yeasts, some liquid, some starters for stuff like sourdough, and pitchable liquid yeast for beer brewing to name a few. What your wife has will do the job beautifully. I'm not a baker by any means but since getting the bread machine several years ago, I've made a lot of it. This is basically the same bread in a slightly different form. There may be other yeasts you can use but what you have is fine.

Robert
Thanks Robert. I think that some fresh buns would be awesome to pair with a couple of really nice thick patties for a truly homemade cheeseburger :)

G

Thanks Robert. I think that some fresh buns would be awesome to pair with a couple of really nice thick patties for a truly homemade cheeseburger :)

More than welcome...now GO FOR IT!! :emoji_laughing: Sounds yummy but you really need to top that cheeseburger with homemade bacon.

Keepin' it all homemade,
Robert

I love those burger buns. They look awesome. I know nothing about bread baking. Can you tell me what dry yeast is? Is that the same stuff that my wife uses in her bread machine that comes out a jar that says active dry? If so, I might like to give this a try. Also, what is strong flour? I've seen all purpose and bread flour. Is that one of those? Thanks Ray. G

Strong flour is bread flour or double "OO", I've ordered the double OH a couple of times in the past when I was taking a stab at rye bread. The yeast in the jar should work just fine. When you dissolve the yeast in water use bottled water, I think the chlorine from the tap kills the yeast. Do a batch, see how you like it, you'll know what's in them. Read the back of a pack of buns from the grocery store, if you are a scientist you might know what most of that stuff is. RAY

Sounds yummy but you really need to top that cheeseburger with homemade bacon.
Keepin' it all homemade, Robert

I love it Robert, we talk the talk and walk the walk! RAY
burger.jpg

Reactions: Smokin' in AZ
Well the hipshot burger weighs half a pound Robert. The way I slice my bacon eight pieces usually weigh in at 14 to 16 ounces, and of course there's always two thick slices of sharp cheddar, unless I change things up for a mushroom-Swiss burger for Jan. Let me see what I can do! RAY
burg2.jpg

Reactions: Smokin' in AZ
Well the hipshot burger weighs half a pound Robert. The way I slice my bacon eight pieces usually weigh in at 14 to 16 ounces, and of course there's always two thick slices of sharp cheddar,

Appreciate you getting on this so fast for me Ray :emoji_laughing: Let's see...you slice and package your bacon exactly as I do. Thick slices, packed 8 slices to a package, and they weigh in close to a pound per pack.

Now back to the burger. If it's a half pounder with 4 slices of bacon, two slices of cheese, all the condiments then served with homemade fries and some pickles, I might be able to get by with one burger :emoji_astonished:

Letting Ray slide on this one
Robert
p.s. that too is one beautiful burger!! exactly as we make them but i need some lettuce and tomato

Quick question for those who’ve had success with this one.

The yeast/sugar mix has been standing for a good 10 and I’m getting no action at all, just cloudy looking mix. The yeast is brand new and I’ve made a good loaf of bread with it already so I don’t think it’s the yeast itself. 50g of sugar measured on the nose with an accurate digital scale, seemed like a ton of sugar...?

What was the temp of the water when you added the yeast ? To hot can kill it . Should be around 110 F .

I guess I couldn’t say for sure, our hot tap comes out around 145° and I tempered it down with frigid from the cold side, mixed around and dumped it out til it was 200ml. I’d ballpark the temp at about 85° according to my index finger.

It finally started acting up after about 20min though not big and foamy like it occasionally does, I continued on and it’s in the oily ball rising under Saran Wrap stage. About 70° on the kitchen counter right now so that should be good. I’ll see how she looks in a couple hours.

Reactions: chopsaw
chopsaw chopsaw is right on the money, I heat the 7oz of water for 22 seconds in the microwave, comes out 105º-110º. I don't drink bottled water, I drink cranberry juice and beer, but I do use it for baking, tap water can have chlorine in it and that'll have a negative effect on yeast. Good luck, hope it comes out well for you. RAY

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky