Building my first walk on trailer smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I have another question rq. Im about to put the smokestack on and since its on a trailer with a roof i need it at least 6in round and 5ft tall. Do yall think that is too long? I read someone say a stack too long with cool down smoke too much and it will begin to fall back down the stack.

Btw the firebox is on the cooking chamber but no door is cut for wood. Will post pics when firebox is cut and completed.

Cowboy, I had the same issue with my stack. What I did was welded a 6x24" pipe. Then when I get the smoker to where were cooking I add a 4' (close too) section of a chimney exhaust inside the welded pipe. Saves my storage space in the shop. Just an idea I thought you might entertain.

Reactions: TheCowboyNation1977
I am having a problem... Im not sure i understand the firebox opening link posted earlier. I have all my numbers from the circle calculater and i know they are all correct. I didnt guess anything they were all measured exactly. He says "For calculating the FB/CC opening.... You are calculating for the GREEN area... that will be the cut-out area in the FB that mates to the CC....
The green area is a segment. It is called a "Segment Area"... That area is the same as the FB/CC""
but then he says "
The [Segment Area] box is what you area going to compare with the FB/CC opening in square inches.." How can i compare them if they are the same thing?? Im so confused... Can someone try to explain this better so i know where to make my cut

In the original calculation you have.......

Diameter X Diameter X 0.7854 X Length = Volume in cubic inches
Volume in cubic inches X 0.004 = FB/CC opening in square inches

That number is what you compare to the circle calculator segment area....

Cowboy, I had the same issue with my stack. What I did was welded a 6x24" pipe. Then when I get the smoker to where were cooking I add a 4' (close too) section of a chimney exhaust inside the welded pipe. Saves my storage space in the shop. Just an idea I thought you might entertain.
That might be what i do if this dont work out like i want. As of right now this is what it is
20190521_035120.jpg

Reactions: JC in GB
It is 7.5in tall and 7 in wide and it is perfectly center on the smoker. My grate height is also at the half mark in the cc. So the exhaust opening is half below and half above the grates.

20190516_123013_HDR.jpg
20190516_124132.jpg
20190516_132506.jpg
20190516_123013_HDR.jpg
20190516_124132.jpg
20190516_132452.jpg
20190516_132506.jpg
20190521_033347.jpg
20190521_033403.jpg
20190521_033559.jpg
20190521_233732.jpg
20190521_234248.jpg
20190521_233746.jpg
Here is an update for yall. The firebox is on, door for it is cut but not finished. All the trim around the cc doors is on. The stack has been put on perfectly center to the smoker and in the middle of the grate. It also has had its first fire to test flow, function, and burn old paint out of the firebox. I still have to put legs on it which will be 3 in C-channel. 1in angle will be put in for the racks and grates to slide on. Havent decided if i want to put tuning plates in yet but there will be a baffle plate to block some heat. Also have to build my internal butterfly smoke dampener for the stack. Also have to build handles yet. Still considering insulating the sides of the firebox and possibly a warmer box to be built on top of the firebox.

Reactions: JC in GB
Need some help again cause even tho it is all finished im not sure im happy with the way it turned out. Everything is very much to spec to all the calculators but i feel like i am not getting the flow i should be. Just for yall reminder this is a 250gal smoker from and old tank with a 24in x 24in x 30in offset firebox. It has a 5in by 5ft exhaust stack that is mounted to the outside on the center of the end. But i feel like there is not enough exhaust flow cause even with my firebox door at 3/4 of the way closed im still getting alot of smoke comming out of it at the door. I was thinking i would cut down the one stack to 4ft and remove it and refit it while adding a second stack at 4ft tall also. Or maby leave them both at 5ft tall and just rebuild it to add the second one but they would still both be at the center just side by side. What do you guys think? Can too much air flow be a bad thing? Idk if 10in diameter between adding the two together would be too much. I think it would almost be perfect in my head.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky