Building my first walk on trailer smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
That's one of the things with the forum a lot of the group thinks that their way is the only way and all else is wrong. You have to figure out which is best for you. The video smokin peachey sent is a good one.

Warren

I agree with HalfSmoked 100%. You got to do your own dance, paddle your own canoe as it were.

Only you can know what is right for you in the end. Take all advice and filter it to your version of logic and order and you can't go wrong.

Reactions: smokin peachey
That's one of the things with the forum a lot of the group thinks that their way is the only way and all else is wrong. You have to figure out which is best for you. The video smokin peachey sent is a good one.

Warren
Thanks for everones help on this it has really been a big help yall dont understand. I think imma build it traditional cause it has worked good for me in the past and if i dont like it later i think imma try the baffle plates. Imma still keep everyone on here updated on how this goes and my progress threw it all. So if you would like please watch the post ill keep updating it as i go. Tonight imma cut it open take pics and lyk how it turns out

Reactions: JC in GB
Thanks for everones help on this it has really been a big help yall dont understand. I think imma build it traditional cause it has worked good for me in the past and if i dont like it later i think imma try the baffle plates. Imma still keep everyone on here updated on how this goes and my progress threw it all. So if you would like please watch the post ill keep updating it as i go. Tonight imma cut it open take pics and lyk how it turns out

Here is a link to a build I did awhile back.

https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/500-gallon-tank-build.250565/

Hopefully soon we will be working on another build

I'm coming a little late to the party but put me down for using the widest trailer deck you can get, either 8' or 8'6" (if legal in your state).

As for your axles, 3500# axles from Dexter cost about $60 more to add the parking brake feature. Throw in around $200 or a bit more for cables, equalizer and handle for one axle, a bit more for two axles, and you will never have to worry about wheel chocks again. I prefer two brake handles, one for each side as it allows one person to pivot the trailer to align it where desired, pivot it on an uneven slope to better level it side-to-side or to align with a hitch. As an added bonus, most trailer brake handles can accept a padlock with no more than a hole drilled in the frame of the handle.

I know some of this has been covered but....Sway while towing is most often caused by the trailer center of gravity being too far aft. Typically, you want 10-15 percent of a bumper hitched trailer's loaded weight on the hitch (usually closer to 10%). If that causes the rear of your tow rig to settle too much then plan on a load equalizing hitch.

What you are shooting for is for the relative wheel well height of the tow rig to be the same with or without the trailer hooked up. If you measure the heights of your front and rear wheel wells with a normally loaded tow rig and then hook the trailer up you should aim to still have the same height difference as too much weight on the tongue leads to low weight on the front axle and sloppy steering (the equalizing hitch will help with that).

You'll want some way to heat wash water even if it's for just hand washing. If washing and utensils or pots you'll need a thee bay sink.

Plan your electrical system early enough to at least have an idea where you'll be running your conduit, convenience receptacles (permanent appliances like a cooler need designated stand-alone circuits), light and switches etc. Keep the ability to clean and sanitize them in mind. Exposed conduit and boxes above a counter would be hard to clean and sanitize..... And plan you shore power or generator hook up early. If using an on-board generator decide how to vent the exhaust early enough that you aren't putting a hot exhaust pipe where it is a hazard or the outlet in an unsafe location for fumes.Good luck and please keep us informed. This is likely a build I will only ever be able to watch and will never build myself so I'm coming along for the ride....

I'm coming a little late to the party but put me down for using the widest trailer deck you can get, either 8' or 8'6" (if legal in your state).

As for your axles, 3500# axles from Dexter cost about $60 more to add the parking brake feature. Throw in around $200 or a bit more for cables, equalizer and handle for one axle, a bit more for two axles, and you will never have to worry about wheel chocks again. I prefer two brake handles, one for each side as it allows one person to pivot the trailer to align it where desired, pivot it on an uneven slope to better level it side-to-side or to align with a hitch. As an added bonus, most trailer brake handles can accept a padlock with no more than a hole drilled in the frame of the handle.

I know some of this has been covered but....Sway while towing is most often caused by the trailer center of gravity being too far aft. Typically, you want 10-15 percent of a bumper hitched trailer's loaded weight on the hitch (usually closer to 10%). If that causes the rear of your tow rig to settle too much then plan on a load equalizing hitch.

What you are shooting for is for the relative wheel well height of the tow rig to be the same with or without the trailer hooked up. If you measure the heights of your front and rear wheel wells with a normally loaded tow rig and then hook the trailer up you should aim to still have the same height difference as too much weight on the tongue leads to low weight on the front axle and sloppy steering (the equalizing hitch will help with that).

You'll want some way to heat wash water even if it's for just hand washing. If washing and utensils or pots you'll need a thee bay sink.

Plan your electrical system early enough to at least have an idea where you'll be running your conduit, convenience receptacles (permanent appliances like a cooler need designated stand-alone circuits), light and switches etc. Keep the ability to clean and sanitize them in mind. Exposed conduit and boxes above a counter would be hard to clean and sanitize..... And plan you shore power or generator hook up early. If using an on-board generator decide how to vent the exhaust early enough that you aren't putting a hot exhaust pipe where it is a hazard or the outlet in an unsafe location for fumes.Good luck and please keep us informed. This is likely a build I will only ever be able to watch and will never build myself so I'm coming along for the ride....
Love this post and definitely gonna keep yall updated for the ride and with youtube video links to watch a video of how im doing. You bring up a lot of points i have been considering and just just havent brought up on the post yet and i like it. Its. Is definitely all things that have been being considered. I hope i make this build just as enjoyable for yall as it will be for me. Thank you all for yalls support and stick around for the links and photos.

Reactions: LanceR and JC in GB
I am having a problem... Im not sure i understand the firebox opening link posted earlier. I have all my numbers from the circle calculater and i know they are all correct. I didnt guess anything they were all measured exactly. He says "For calculating the FB/CC opening.... You are calculating for the GREEN area... that will be the cut-out area in the FB that mates to the CC....
The green area is a segment. It is called a "Segment Area"... That area is the same as the FB/CC""
but then he says "
The [Segment Area] box is what you area going to compare with the FB/CC opening in square inches.." How can i compare them if they are the same thing?? Im so confused... Can someone try to explain this better so i know where to make my cut

Attachments

• Screenshot_2019-05-05-15-16-20.png
    Screenshot_2019-05-05-15-16-20.png
    261.8 KB · Views: 9
You guys have been such a big help to building this dream smoker you dont even understand. I just kept extending my length of seg ED from the first cal (11.75in) to meet the minimum volume of seg area from the second calc (244.7ci) and it came up to 248.9ci. And thats including plate and tank thickness. My firebox is gonna be 30inx30inx24in and that exceeds my min firebox volume.

Btw here are some update photos from the time i got it to where im at now. Which is right after the burn with the inside sanded.
20190503_114617.jpg
20190503_192506.jpg
20190504_150353.jpg
20190504_150402.jpg
20190504_150416.jpg
20190504_175330.jpg
20190504_175441.jpg
20190504_202003.jpg
20190505_140105.jpg

I’m afraid you may be overthinking things cowboy
I was afraid of that also but hell it aint gonna hurt i guess. I just kinda got caught up in the fun of the science and math of it all. The thought desiging a smoker or anything to become the most efficient product i can make just fun to me. Challanges me and pushes me to be the best i can be.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky