BUFFALO HOT WING SAUCED RIBS

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 22, 2009
Central Florida (Sebring)
OK, I got this idea from a recent post. I tried to find the post so I could give the OP credit for giving me this idea, but couldn't locate it. So if you see this & it was you, thank you very much. Now, Chili (John) also replied to that thread & said he has done these before & they are awesome. So I just had to give it a try. I started with a rack of STL's. Rinsed them good & just put a light coat of my pork rub on, and then a nice coating of dark brown sugar. I was looking for a nice crust on the ribs and thought the brown sugar would give me that. I wrapped the rack in plastic wrap & put it in the fridge for a couple of hours, until the sugar kind of melted into the ribs.
1.JPG

Since I almost always use my kettle for wings, I thought I'd do the ribs in the kettle too.
I started with a basket of charcoal on each side & then kept adding small hickory splits.

2.JPG

I also made a mix of apple juice & brown sugar to spritz the ribs with every 20 minutes or so.

3.JPG

They temp stayed right around 325 the whole time.

6.JPG

I tried to keep them pretty wet and they are starting to take on some nice color.

4.JPG

7.JPG

While they were cooking I mixed up the hot wing sauce. I just used Frank's & butter.

5.JPG

Well at 325, they only took about 2 1/2 hours to cook & I usually take my ribs off at an IT of 195, but this time I let them go to 205. They still weren't FOTB which is what I wanted, I guess the faster cook time kept them from getting mushy. The texture was just perfect.

8.JPG

9.JPG

I sliced them up & before I could get them in the hot sauce Judy grabbed one & took a couple of bites off it then put it back, (those are her teeth marks on the lower left) at least you can see the texture is just right. Tender, juicy & still stays on the bone.

10.JPG

OK, now for the wing sauce!!

11.JPG
12.JPG

And a quick toss in the pan & we are ready to eat!

13.JPG

I'm a bit embarrassed that I didn't get a plated shot, but we just started eating those ribs right out of the pan & never put them on a plate. Judy was very skeptical at the idea of hot wing sauce on ribs, cause for years I have made ribs the way she likes them & she really wasn't to enthusiastic about this new idea. But neither of us could stop eating them. We ate the whole rack in a matter of minutes. Of course we had to wash them down with a few beers!!
Once again I want to thank the guy who asked if this was a good idea, cause I will be making these again very soon. And thanks Chili for confirming that this was a good idea too.
It's really a no-brainer, if you like ribs & you like hot wings, this is the perfect meal for you!!
I think the Lang may get a little lonely on rib day for a while!!
Thanks for looking guys!!
Al

Nice job Al. I will file this and expand what I use the Franks on. Thinking 1 inch pork tenderloin spiced cubes for a quick fix!

Those look delicious Al, nice pictorial.
Yep, they're definitely yummy.
IIRC, we're at a friend's BBQ with deep-fried wings and BBQ ribs, we dipped a rib in the Frank's just to try it and it's one of his signature dishes now.

Aaron Franklin is a firm believer in his hot sauce slather on his personal BBQ.

I like Tabasco sauce, regular, garlic and Chipotle on all sorts of BBQ, and I almost have to have Chile Toreados, i.e. grilled or fried chiles with a steak.

Now what has my attention is the Jerk seasoning on ribs, I think a sugary jerk rub and jerk sauce will be awesome on ribs.

If my wife didn't already have a turkey thawed for me to smoke it'd be jerked ribs this weekend.

Last edited:
Looks Great Al !!:)
I'm positive I'd love those!!
However I'd be eating alone---Mrs Bear won't eat anything with any Spicy Hot on it.:eek:
Nice Job.
Like.

Bear

Nice write up Al...Boy the ribs looked great before you added the sauce.
I might have to dig out my Kettle. Looks awesome!!

Those ribs look mighty good Al. Happy you decided to be the guinea pig and give'em a whirl. Now I'm gonna have to give it a go.

Point for sure.

Chris

I didn't reply in the last thread because I was hoping this wouldn't catch on. I have been making ribs like this for a few years, kind of a signature dish for me. Anyways now that the cats out of the bag, those ribs look really good.

Nice job Al. I will file this and expand what I use the Franks on. Thinking 1 inch pork tenderloin spiced cubes for a quick fix!

Thanks!
That sounds real good to me!
Al

Those look delicious Al, nice pictorial.
Yep, they're definitely yummy.
IIRC, we're at a friend's BBQ with deep-fried wings and BBQ ribs, we dipped a rib in the Frank's just to try it and it's one of his signature dishes now.

Aaron Franklin is a firm believer in his hot sauce slather on his personal BBQ.

I like Tabasco sauce, regular, garlic and Chipotle on all sorts of BBQ, and I almost have to have Chile Toreados, i.e. grilled or fried chiles with a steak.

Now what has my attention is the Jerk seasoning on ribs, I think a sugary jerk rub and jerk sauce will be awesome on ribs.

If my wife didn't already have a turkey thawed for me to smoke it'd be jerked ribs this weekend.

Thanks John!
I have all kinds of things running through my head now!!
Al

Great post as always Al
I shall definitely be trying this out soon.

Thank you Gary!
I appreciate it!
Al

Looks awesome Al definite try here soon.

Warren

Thanks Warren!
You won't be disappointed!
Al

Thank you for the idea Cybrslydr!
It's definitely a winner!!
Al

Those look fantastic Al! I'd put those up on the carousel!

Thank you my friend!
Your kind words are worth more than the carousel!
Al

Looks Great Al !!:)
I'm positive I'd love those!!
However I'd be eating alone---Mrs Bear won't eat anything with any Spicy Hot on it.:eek:
Nice Job.
Like.

Bear

Thanks John!
Next time your Son is over give these a try, you can always make 2 racks one with & one without!
Al

Nice write up Al...Boy the ribs looked great before you added the sauce.
I might have to dig out my Kettle. Looks awesome!!

Thanks Doug!
Yea my kettles have been getting a workout lately!!

Some sweet n heat. I'm going to have to try that out.. I like the sauce, I did a thread using it for boneless turkey breast injection once.

Good stuff Sir!

View attachment 371946

Thank you so much!
I'm thinking of all kinds of things to try with that wing sauce now!!
Al

Oh Yeah! They looked great before the sauce and then sauced...Dayumm;)
I still do my ribs on the kettle ,old habit from when it's all I had.It just seems "right"

Thank you!
And yes I'm rethinking smoking my ribs as opposed to cooking them on the kettle. I really liked the texture & taste of the ribs right off the kettle, even before I added the wing sauce! The Lang is not going to like me much if I start cooking ribs on the kettle!!
Al

Those ribs look mighty good Al. Happy you decided to be the guinea pig and give'em a whirl. Now I'm gonna have to give it a go.

Point for sure.

Chris

Thank you!
As soon as I saw that idea, I knew I had to try it.
I think you will be very happy if you give it a try too!
Al

I didn't reply in the last thread because I was hoping this wouldn't catch on. I have been making ribs like this for a few years, kind of a signature dish for me. Anyways now that the cats out of the bag, those ribs look really good.

Thank you!
Your secret was very well kept, cause I never heard of this before. But it may be my signature dish from now on too!!
Al

Great job Al! Those look real good. I think my eyes are burning already. Like!

Thank you my friend!
They really weren't as hot as they looked, I think the butter kind of tamed down the hot sauce.
Al

Now THAT is a good looking rack-o-ribs!!

Thank you Sir!!
Al

Two of my favorites, wings and ribs.... point to you Al!

Thank you!
They are two of my favorites too, that is why this was sooo good!!
Al

WOW!...My mouth is watering right now. Boy do they look good.

Thank you Tom!
I appreciate it!
Al

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky