Buc-ees Butt

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

zzerru

Meat Mopper
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Apr 14, 2007
Ann Arbor
My buddy in Texas sent me some Buc-ees BBQ rub to try so I slathered a butt with mustard and rubbed it up
CDA16FC9-44C0-4FCB-9720-F0B2F95A7057.jpeg

I smoked it over maple wood at 255 until IT was 170, then foiled it and added some Vernor’s for that Michigan twist.
91F6F268-70F1-4326-A92A-B16155BC439F.jpeg

Made a finishing sauce out of the juices, Vernor’s and mustard
E3364C30-01DB-46AE-86E5-40C3E991BA28.jpeg

All shredded.
295C5753-5621-45D3-BDEB-C806ED70C9F1.jpeg

On a homemade bun with pickles I fermented, finishing sauce and green beans from the garden with onion and home cured, peach wood smoked bacon.

Overall, the Buc-ees rub was fairly good, but kind of basic. Strong savory flavors of chiles, onion, and garlic but no real herbal or sweet notes. I’ll use it up, but it’s not in my top 10 rubs.

All looks good. Not a commercial Rub guy, so not had that one. It pretty cool that you fermented your own Cucumbers. ..JJ

Reactions: zzerru
My buddy in Texas sent me some Buc-ees BBQ rub to try so I slathered a butt with mustard and rubbed it up
View attachment 468268
I smoked it over maple wood at 255 until IT was 170, then foiled it and added some Vernor’s for that Michigan twist.
View attachment 468269
View attachment 468323
All shredded.
View attachment 468324
On a homemade bun with pickles I fermented, finishing sauce and green beans from the garden with onion and home cured, peach wood smoked bacon.

Overall, the Buc-ees rub was fairly good, but kind of basic. Strong savory flavors of chiles, onion, and garlic but no real herbal or sweet notes. I’ll use it up, but it’s not in my top 10 rubs.

Looks great!
Yeah our seasonings/rubs in TX often don't have sugar in them (basically never). We generally get the sweet component from sauces which are brushed on towards the end or added at the table.

Looks real good. Next time in Bucee's might have to get some. No Vernor's around here since the virus. I even call Dr Pepper and begged. Can get it on Amazon but shipping so high. Tried every ginger ale in store and nothing even close.

Good looking meal. Great job.
What's vernor's?? Never heard of it.
Gary
Vernor’s is a very “Michigan” thing. It’s a type of ginger ale. It’s great in a Boston cooler and worked well in this sauce, but I don’t usually drink it (I don’t drink soda much).

Reactions: GaryHibbert
Looks real good. Next time in Bucee's might have to get some. No Vernor's around here since the virus. I even call Dr Pepper and begged. Can get it on Amazon but shipping so high. Tried every ginger ale in store and nothing even close.
Vernor’s is pretty unique. My wife swears by it when she’s got an upset stomach.

View attachment 468268
View attachment 468269
View attachment 468323
All shredded.
View attachment 468324

The Bucees rub is all second branded for marketing purposes it’s the same stuff you can get it most of the stores that you normally go to

The Bucees rub is all second branded for marketing purposes it’s the same stuff you can get it most of the stores that you normally go to
Ahhh ok. Didn’t know that. I normally just use my own rub but figured I would start using up some of these commercial rubs that people give me.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky