Bruschetta

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

xray

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Mar 11, 2015
Northeast PA
BE4934DF-7C6B-4433-939E-9B17D048BF6F.jpeg

Here’s a good way to use up your extra tomatoes. I used the last of my cherries, gonna miss eating this....so long summer.

Bruschetta:
1 1/2 or 2 cups cherry tomatoes (or use 3 romas diced)
10 basil leaves, chopped
4Tbsp olive oil
2Tbsp balsamic vinegar
Salt
Black Pepper
Garlic cloves; peeled and sliced in half
Bread (I used a baguette, day old Italian or French bread work well)
————
Chop tomatoes and place in a colander. Add salt and allow excess water to drain.

Next, combine tomatoes and chopped basil in a bowl. Add 2 parts oil and one part balsamic vinegar and black pepper to taste. Mix and set aside.

Grill bread until toasted. Once bread is grilled rub a sliced fresh clove of garlic over one side of the bread.

Top bread with bruschetta. I use a slotted spoon to drain the excess marinade off the tomatoes, this way the bread doesn’t get too soggy.

Note: You could add onion if desired or top with parmesan cheese and/or balsamic glaze. I used fresh chives in the picture above. I like it simple...also, I wouldn’t add extra chopped garlic to the bruschetta. The garlic rubbed on the bread is pretty potent.

You could also serve over sliced mozzarella cheese, a good option for those avoiding carbohydrates.

they look good! yeah I think summer is coming to a end:emoji_disappointed: but spring is right around the corner

Looks like a wonderful snack/appetizer, yum!
Great pic, magazine quality.

A good bruschetta ranks right up there with a good caprese.

Thanks Chile! I wholeheartedly agree but its only as good as the freshness of your tomatoes. I probably won’t have this again for awhile...ate a lot of it this summer.

Reactions: Fueling Around
Looks great Joe! Gonna have to bookmark this one as well and give it a try!

Thanks John, it’s super tasty when fresh. Makes a good appetizer.

Truth is, I eat it as a meal....with a cold beer of course!

Thanks Jim. We haven’t seen much of a spring in PA the past few years...hopefully winter is short this year.

Thanks Richie, it’s a good way to use up extra tomatoes.
Joe I just made a pot of Tomato-Basil Sauce the other day.pulled 2 san marzano off and deseeded just now.
Richie

Joe I just made a pot of Tomato-Basil Sauce the other day.pulled 2 san marzano off and deseeded just now.
Richie

Sounds like you’re ready to go. If you made tomato basil sauce, you’re pretty set for ingredients

Yum.
Love brushetta, but the wife is on a wheat restricted diet, so I don't make them until my daughter comes for a visit.
On my third consecutive year of disappointing garden harvest. I've gotten 1 Roma this year and a handful of grape. Good basil crop though.

Yum.
Love brushetta, but the wife is on a wheat restricted diet, so I don't make them until my daughter comes for a visit.
On my third consecutive year of disappointing garden harvest. I've gotten 1 Roma this year and a handful of grape. Good basil crop though.

Thanks. I love eating it too, I really could make a meal out of it. You could add chopped garlic and serve it over sliced mozzarella if your wife can’t have bread.

I had a ton of grape tomatoes this year. Basil grew a ton, just finished up making pesto to freeze.

Thanks again!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky