• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chef jimmyj

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
May 12, 2011
Ever notice how Chinese Recipes you make at home rarely taste like Restaurant Food?
I started experimenting with Chinese when I was a child with my Dad. It was fun, the food was good, but it never really tasted like the Restaurant food. Now, granted, few folks have a 100K BTU Wok Burner in our kitchen but we can get really close if you spend a bit on some ingredients AND put them together in the right proportions. Restaurants have different twists they put on the same dish in other restaurants, mostly to try and stand out. So what I think is Spot On may not even be close to what your favorite joint makes.
I've been playing with this Recipe awhile and at least as far as the Chinese Food we have eaten, the last several years, this is as good as any Chinese Brown Sauce we've had. I made this for Chicken and Broccoli but it will work with any mix of Veg and Protein. Try it and see what you think.
BTW...It might seem like this sauce would be Sweet but there is a good balance between Sweet and Salty...JJ

Brown Stir Fry Sauce

2C Chicken Broth
3T Soy Sauce (Kikkoman)
2T White Sugar
2T Mirin
2T Oyster Sauce (Lee Kum Kee)
1T Hoisin Sauce (Lee Kum Kee)
1T Sweet Dark Soy Sauce (Healthy Boy)
2tsp Toasted Sesame Oil
1/2tsp Grnd White Pepper
1/2tsp MSG

2T Corn Starch

Add the Corn Starch to a bowl. Whisk in the remaining ingredients. Store in the refer until needed. MIX WELL BEFORE EACH USE...Add as needed to Cooked Ingredients and bring to a simmer to thicken. Serve.

This makes about 2 Cups of Sauce. The typical Quart of Chinese Food has between 1/4C and 1/2C Sauce depending on the variety and restaurant.
The individual ingredient are MONTHS old in my Refer. So I figure this Sauce has a long refrigerated shelve life.

Here's a Bonus cause we're Family!

Chicken and Broccoli ( Or any Protein)

8 to 16oz Chicken, cut in thin strips.
1 to 2tsp Soy Sauce
1 to 2tsp Corn Starch
1/8 to 1/4tsp Baking Soda
1/8 to 1/4tsp Grnd White Pepper
1/8 to 1/4tsp MSG or Salt
Combine, Mix well and refrigerate 1 hour.

2T Veg Oil, divided.
1tsp Minced Garlic
1tsp Minced Ginger
1ea minced White portion of Scallion, (Green for Garnish),
divided.
2C Broccoli Florets*, cut in bite size pieces.
1/2C Water
1/4 to 1/2C Stir Fry Sauce.
Peel and slice Stem 1/8" Thick and add it...BEST PART!

Prep everything and have them close by, thing will happen FAST!
Heat a Wok or Non-Teflon Saute Pan over Med/High heat.
Add half the Oil and heat it.
Add half the Garlic, Ginger and Scallions.
Stir Fry until fragrant, about 20 seconds.
Add Meat and stir fry until 50% done, remove and set aside.
Add second portion of Oil, heat and add remaining Garlic, Etc.
Add Broccoli and increase heat to High.
Stir fry 30 seconds and add Water.
Stir and Boil until Water evaporates.
Return Chicken to the pan and stir fry briefly, add Sauce Mix.
Stir and toss until Sauce thickens, the Broccoli is tender crisp and Chicken is cooked.
Serve with Rice or as desired.

Sounds good JJ, I've made General Tso chicken before, but haven't in a long time. To labor intensive for a 5.00 take out meal. I'll give recipe a shot on the kettle this summer.

Point for sure
Chris

Reactions: chef jimmyj
Good recipes JJ. Very similar to what I use. However I must admit that I usually just wing it at the wok. When I was little my mom took Chinese food cooking classes and I learned from her. To date her broccoli beef is my favorite.

I think many miss the use of white pepper in Chinese food. Many do not know that its an integral ingredient. I would add fish sauce in place of the MSG but that's just my flavor preference.
If you are looking for lower sodium you can substitute liquid aminos for soy. Keep in mind and read the bottle because the sodium may not be lower.

Now for those wanting to get into stir fry food that don't have a Wok or do but don't want to stink up the house, this is the perfect excuse to get a Blackstone griddle. The 22" is perfect for whipping up stir fry for a family of four. The 17" would be a bit small but could work.

Thanks everyone. A Wok is nice but not really necessary. I feed 6 adults in a sitting. The other night I used a Full Recipe of Sauce with 4 Pounds of Boneless/Skinless Chicken Thighs, and Double the Broccoli. The whole deal came together in a 14" Saute Pan. Everyone enjoyed their fill and their was about a Quart left for lunches later this week. The ingredients with the Brand names are what I used but there are other Asian Brands that work equally well. The only recommendation is get Lee Kum Kee or Koon Chun for the branded items. These are the Real Deal compared to what is sold in many chain Grocery Stores. I get LKK Oyster Sauce and the stuff with no brand name at Walmart...JJ

I'll have to show this to my son . He's self taught , but really good with sauces .
Our go to leftover meal from eye round is beef and broccoli , and pork loin same sauce , but peppers onions and carrots .
Thanks for posting .

Have to try this, since developing a shellfish allergy 8 years ago typical Chinese take out is a no, no.

Have to try this, since developing a shellfish allergy 8 years ago typical Chinese take out is a no, no.

Since you are allergic to Shell Fish, leave out the Oyster Sauce...BUT...Lee Kum Kee Vegetarian Oyster Sauce is similar but made with Shiitake Mushrooms and no Oysters...JJ

Reactions: daveomak
I could probably get away with it as a shellfish allergy is just to fish with an exoskeleton like shrimp, crab, lobster, crayfish etc..I would probably omit it and use your suggestion as an extra precaution.

Thx Cliff

I'm really late to the show. I have a question on your instructions,. you said. "Add the Corn Starch to a bowl. Whisk in the remaining ingredients. Add as needed to Cooked Ingredients and bring to a simmer to thicken. Serve. "
I'm not clear but it sounds like I mix all the ingredients in a bowl. Then after I cook the dish I am making I add this mixture to it for a sauce? Might be a dumb question but........curious.

Thank you sir! I've tried more times then I can count to replicate this sauce. Saved to try soon.

I'm really late to the show. I have a question on your instructions,. you said. "Add the Corn Starch to a bowl. Whisk in the remaining ingredients. Add as needed to Cooked Ingredients and bring to a simmer to thicken. Serve. "
I'm not clear but it sounds like I mix all the ingredients in a bowl. Then after I cook the dish I am making I add this mixture to it for a sauce? Might be a dumb question but........curious.

Not a Dumb question at all...
This is a Bulk Sauce Recipe. It makes enough sauce for 8 to 10 Quarts of Chinese American Food. You make the whole batch, Mix before using and pull out what you need. You store the rest in the refer until next time.
A typical "Saucy" Chinese American dish, like the above Chicken and Broccoli or Pork with Snow Peas, uses a 1/2Cup of Sauce ingredients added to the Cooked Meat and Veg near the end. The sauce mix is stirred in, it thickens and you are ready to go.
In restaurants, these ingredients are all separate. The Chef cooks the Meat, half way, and sets it aside. He/She then Stir Fries the Veg until almost tender crisp. The Chef lowers the heat, then returns the meat to the pan while the Sauce ingredients are assembled. The Chef puts a portion of each of the sauce ingredients in the Wok Ladle, Soy Sauce, Oyster Sauce, Sugar, Corn Starch and Stock, Etc., then adds these to the Cooked Meat and Veg to heat, thicken and finish the dish.
My Brown Stir Fry Sauce, makes " Faster" work of getting a variety of Chinese American or Your Stir Fried Foods on the Table...JJ

Reactions: ofelles
I just made some for lunch. WOW!!! This is fantastic! Thanks for posting.

PB240053.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky