• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
The only issue with Teflon is, some pans can give off a gas that can be harmful to animals, especially Pet Birds, and can cause Flu-like symptoms in people.
Not a huge deal. If using Teflon, just add the Oil to the Cold pan and heat per the instructions...JJ

OK, thanks for the info. We've used them for years, and I never knew. Time to start switching out to different cookware. Other than CI, which is expensive, which type do you recommend? Thanks JJ.

We had a CI many years ago, must have gotten lost during one of our moves back in the day. Probably my best bet to get one. Start a CI collection, just don't tell the Mrs. lol. Thanks.

The Best Saute pans are Carbon Steel pans. They heat and cool fast. If seasoned and cared for like CI, are as Non-stick as Teflon. Lodge puts out some nice ones but check Restaurant Equipment stores for the best price.
Teflon pans are fine as long as you don't over heat EMPTY pans. New pans are made with a Non-stick that doesn't off gas...JJ

Thanks, I'll see how old ours are. A friend mentioned Stainless Steel pans. Any recommendations there? Appreciate all of the help.

Stainless Pans are Clad, layered, with Aluminum, Copper, or other metal, because alone Stainless is a horrible heat Conductor. This Cladding makes them expensive. From my research and various reviews, The best made, reasonably priced, Clad Stainless Pans are made by Tramontina out of Brazil.

Take a look at Lodge Cast Iron. They are really priced in line with other types of quality cookware...JJ

Stainless Pans are Clad, layered, with Aluminum, Copper, or other metal, because alone Stainless is a horrible heat Conductor. This Cladding makes them expensive. From my research and various reviews, The best made, reasonably priced, Clad Stainless Pans are made by Tramontina out of Brazil.

Take a look at Lodge Cast Iron. They are really priced in line with other types of quality cookware...JJ

That's good info. Looks like the Carbon Steel would be less complicated, and easier to evenly heat?
Thanks for all of this info. Definitely getting one of these, and 12" seems to be the right size,.

Carbon Steel Pans are awesome as long as you take care of them. They come preseasoned but require the same maintenance as Cast Iron. They must Never see Soap or metal scrubbers. Dry thoroughly, heat and rub a tiny film of oil on before storage. I've used them frequently in various restaurants and at home. 12" is my GoTo...JJ

Reactions: MJB05615
Hey chef jimmyj chef jimmyj
I have a question for you. I'm going to make this sauce again tomorrow for chicken and broccoli. And I'm out of oyster sauce. And all I can find is vegetarian oyster sauce. Do you think that'll work?

Yes! Veg Oyster Sauce is Mushroom based. So it has all of the important UMAMI of Regular Oyster Sauce. Enjoy...JJ

Carbon Steel Pans are awesome as long as you take care of them. They come preseasoned but require the same maintenance as Cast Iron. They must Never see Soap or metal scrubbers. Dry thoroughly, heat and rub a tiny film of oil on before storage. I've used them frequently in various restaurants and at home. 12" is my GoTo...JJ
I got a Lodge 12" CI pan finally. Preseasoned , and I rinsed it with warm water only, then a thin coat of Veg oil applied with paper towel. When I use it spray with Pam? Or add thin coat of oil?

What I do if I have to wash a CI pan. That after I wash and dry it. I put it in a preheated 375 degree oven for 30 minutes. Take it out and let it cool. Then wipe down with a light coating of veg oil. And put it back in the 375 degree oven for another 30 minutes.

What I do if I have to wash a CI pan. That after I wash and dry it. I put it in a preheated 375 degree oven for 30 minutes. Take it out and let it cool. Then wipe down with a light coating of veg oil. And put it back in the 375 degree oven for another 30 minutes.
OK, that sounds like a plan. Do this after every use? Thanks Steve.

I cook with some kind of Fat, in all my pans. CI, AL, CS and SS. One, sort of exception, my CI GRIDDLE that pretty much only is used for Pancakes. It gets heated, gets a shot of Pam, then I cook the entire batch with no further fat. The griddle is now well seasoned and non-stick, giving a classic uniform brown finish.
CI and CS pans are washed with Hot Water and a Brush Only. They go back on the Stove, set to Med/High Heat. When Dry, they get a squirt of Pam, that gets spread around with a paper towel to a Super Thin Coating, almost wiped out. When I see whisps of Smoke, the pan is pushed to the back of the stove to cool. The whole process takes 5 to 10 minutes...JJ

I cook with some kind of Fat, in all my pans. CI, AL, CS and SS. One, sort of exception, my CI GRIDDLE that pretty much only is used for Pancakes. It gets heated, gets a shot of Pam, then I cook the entire batch with no further fat. The griddle is now well seasoned and non-stick, giving a classic uniform brown finish.
CI and CS pans are washed with Hot Water and a Brush Only. They go back on the Stove, set to Med/High Heat. When Dry, they get a squirt of Pam, that gets spread around with a paper towel to a Super Thin Coating, almost wiped out. When I see whisps of Smoke, the pan is pushed to the back of the stove to cool. The whole process takes 5 to 10 minutes...JJ
OK, so basically after each use, clean with water only. Once dried, put some kind of thin coating of Pam or Oil, then heat til it just starts to smoke, let it cool and store til next time. When start to use each time I can spray with Pam a light coating regardless of what I'm cooking. Easy enough that even I should be able to handle, LOL. Thanks guys for all of this invaluable advice, as usual.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky