Brisket with an issue

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

shawnc

Fire Starter
Original poster
Aug 4, 2015
So I decided since it was the first time since the lockdowns had opened up that I would have a brisket for the fmaily and a couple friends. Granted eating on the deck was perfect and the flavor of the rub was much better than before for the brisket, I made a mistake. Should have cooked it fat down to protect the meat more. IT reached 204 and I pulled it but by then the bottom was already crusty while the rest was juicy and flavorful. Let it rest for 2 hrs. Still a win but also a big learning about the smoker. What do you think of the images?

Attachments

• Brisket1.jpg
    Brisket1.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 27
  • Brisket2.jpg
    Brisket2.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 36
  • Brisket3.jpg
    Brisket3.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 36
Reactions: sawhorseray
I think your pictures look great Shawn! That last one shows not only the great bark and smoke penetration, but how nice and juicy your brisket is, Like! RAY

Reactions: shawnc
Good picks, good looking brisket and a beautiful smoke ring. I've done fat down briskets in my pellet cooker for the last 2 years for the same reason you reference in your post.

Very nice looking brisket!

Reactions: shawnc
Looks good.... Do you wrap your brisket ?
During the cook, no. but when I pulled it, I wrap it in foil and place it in a cooler for the rest. Since I started to do this, it seems to help with moisture retention and the meat does not become mushy.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky