• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Brisket vs. Tri-tip

smokeyt

Joined Nov 27, 2016
Now I know that brisket is king of the grill. My brother wants me to smoke a brisket for his birthday. But I thought about going with a tri tip what are y'alls opinion?

b-one

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Joined Aug 31, 2014
I love Tri tip and brisket is tasty as well! But very different cuts,have you cooked TT before? Any special reason you want to go against his birthday request? I would think the TT would be a much less time consuming and a great reason to go that way.

forluvofsmoke

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
Joined Aug 27, 2008
I'd do a TT in a heartbeat...maybe 3 or 4. Yeah, brisket is truly a nice treat, but I don't smoke 'em these days if I'm not making burnt ends from the entire point muscle. Nice thing about TT is you don't have to smoke it all night and into the next day to have your smoke fix...a couple of hours and you're there. Slice them cross-grain, nice and thin, and there isn't much that would top them for tenderness...unless you want to match them up against tenderloin...but that wouldn't be a fair comparison because that's in a class all it's own.

Eric

mike5051

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 7, 2015
I've been doing Tri's lately, but have been really missing briskets!  The flavor and texture and beauty after smoking for 12-18 hrs has no substitute.  I had a thin sliced tenderloin roast with my TG turkey, and i am still longing for brisket.

Mike

dirtsailor2003

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Joined Oct 4, 2012
It's his birthday, right?
Do the brisket.
Yep that.

Brisket and Tri tip are two totally different cuts. We prefer tri tip, but that's our preference. We also
Like to have brisket . Both are very different though.

If your brother has requested brisket cook brisket!

bmudd14474

Legendary Pitmaster
Staff member
Administrator
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Joined Jun 1, 2008
Like others have said they are 2 different beast. If you want very rich then id go with Brisket but that comes with alot of smoker time. If you want great tender meat in a short time then tri tip.

But being its his b-day id go Brisket.

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
Tri tip is one of my all time favorite's!

But as said above it is HIS birthday!

Al

paul6

Meat Mopper
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jun 13, 2015
I always look at Tri Tip as a grilling meat and Brisket as a cut for the smoker    IMO !

smokeyt

Joined Nov 27, 2016
Man you guys have a way of making someone feel bad. Brisket it is! It's what he wants!

Joined Nov 8, 2017
I'd do a TT in a heartbeat...maybe 3 or 4. Yeah, brisket is truly a nice treat, but I don't smoke 'em these days if I'm not making burnt ends from the entire point muscle. Nice thing about TT is you don't have to smoke it all night and into the next day to have your smoke fix...a couple of hours and you're there. Slice them cross-grain, nice and thin, and there isn't much that would top them for tenderness...unless you want to match them up against tenderloin...but that wouldn't be a fair comparison because that's in a class all it's own.

Eric
Newbie here. I've been wanting to smoke TT, when you're smoking TT for a couple hours at what temp do you keep it? Thanks

noboundaries

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Sep 7, 2013
Hey Alex. Nice resurrection of an old thread.

The number of TT's I've grilled or smoked number in the four figures. They are best smoked at a low temp of 200-225F until an internal temp of 115-120F, then slap them on a blazing hot grill over gas or charcoal for about 2-3 minutes a side for the reverse sear. A smoked-only TT is pretty anemic looking, but it tastes great. It needs the reverse sear to pretty it up.

dirtsailor2003

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Joined Oct 4, 2012
Hey Alex. Nice resurrection of an old thread.

The number of TT's I've grilled or smoked number in the four figures. They are best smoked at a low temp of 200-225F until an internal temp of 115-120F, then slap them on a blazing hot grill over gas or charcoal for about 2-3 minutes a side for the reverse sear. A smoked-only TT is pretty anemic looking, but it tastes great. It needs the reverse sear to pretty it up.

I go even lower and try and keep my pit temp around 180.

Take the Tri tip to an internal temp of 120-125. Then sear to finish on a high temp grill.

We like ours cooked to an internal temp of 135.

old golfer guy

Smoke Blower
Joined Jul 21, 2017
My choice to TT is season, smoke for 90 mins. then Sous Vide for 2 hrs at 125 and finish with a hot sear.

gary s

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Joined Jan 6, 2011
It's his birthday, right?
Do the brisket.
I agree Smoke what he requested, Why not throw in a TT and some ribs and really surprise him.
That way you could see how everyone liked the TT.

Gary

johnmeyer

Master of the Pit
Joined Nov 19, 2015
Yes tri-tip is really easy because it is so quick, even at the 225 degree smoking temps (or lower). Cook it to a rare end temp (130-135), and then slice it as thin as you can. I have a cheap Chef's Choic 615 slicer that is perfect for this simple cut of meat.

Whatever you do, don't treat it like a big fatty piece of meat that has to be cooked all day to 200+ degrees.

I generally serve it in sandwiches with a mayo/sour cream/horseradish sauce and a huge pile of onions sauted for a long time in a CI skillet, in butter.

cheftjh57

Joined Mar 21, 2017
Tri Tip is da bomb for beef flavor and tenderness if cooked to MR and sliced Thin across grain.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.