Brisket turning red when smoked

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

andriesdt

Original poster
Feb 13, 2020
Hi

I need some help please. When I smoke my brisket it turns out as red and I don't get the black bark on it.

I have a box smoker, about 400 gallons big. I use charcoal as my fuel source and I put wood pieces (not small chunks or chips) on for the flavoring.

I stay in South Africa and I use camel thorn wood.

The taste is perfect, the smoke ring is there but I do not get the color right.

What am I doing wrong? Help please.

Thanks.

Andries du Toit

Turning read like this?
The picture is my last brisket seasoned with salt and pepper. I personally like the red color over a black bark.
20200201_183304.jpg

If it taste good and is tender I'd leave it alone. What temp do you smoke at ?

Gary

Hi

I need some help please. When I smoke my brisket it turns out as red and I don't get the black bark on it.

I have a box smoker, about 400 gallons big. I use charcoal as my fuel source and I put wood pieces (not small chunks or chips) on for the flavoring.

I stay in South Africa and I use camel thorn wood.

The taste is perfect, the smoke ring is there but I do not get the color right.

What am I doing wrong? Help please.

Thanks.

Andries du Toit
Hi Andries. I’m from Durban. I’m interested to know if you’ve tried any other woods when smoking. What works and what doesn’t. I’ve heard wattle is like hickory. Have you tried it. Thanks

IMO your meat was probably too wet going into smoker and this hinders color and bark formation. I find it essential to have meat dry to touch by either an overnight uncovered rest or using a small fan for half hour or so before smoking. More info if you search pellicle.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky