Brisket to Brisket Chili

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bauchjw

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Aug 3, 2015
Alexandria, VA
Greetings, the fall weather, and posts here, has kept me motivated for soups, stews, and Chili. But it’s warm enough where I am to keep smoking. So I went with both! One of my Daughters turned 5, so we had a party and the kids had cheese pizza dressed as princesses and I had smoked a good brisket for the adults to enjoy with beer…away from the kids!
Very traditional K. Salt and cracked pepper rub @ 220 with mesquite.
44ECFE75-0F5E-476B-9DF7-E4E47D6A4225.jpeg
A642121E-AD2B-4A8F-A906-9782D8AD4532.jpeg
9E35345C-6612-49DD-8877-9E12CC91C9D6.jpeg

everyone was happy with the results!
531F81C8-85FF-4CE1-A910-F75C5AA3C428.jpeg
D6E38256-3009-4A82-A048-E9E9435DA8A0.jpeg
7B75E642-AE13-4390-972C-4F779A46CB3E.jpeg

The next day, after a few slices for breakfast, I started the Texas Style Chili, using the leftover brisket as my meat. I had also made a few gallons of beef broth a few weeks ago that was used as well….Cold leftover brisket before cubing:
50897960-C009-488D-AD60-16E6C306E65D.jpeg

The beef broth and a simmering pot of good stuff.

3CDD62C4-8EB7-42FF-AF0E-D918436DEF47.jpeg
F69BEEA7-012C-4E74-AF32-6EB655E705E9.jpeg

And a pretty amazing bowl of chili, the pot didn’t last long and I had to hide some for lunch the next day!
DD11CEA4-DC91-422A-AF99-02D948957382.jpeg
6024FE38-069E-4685-AF19-7A94DF4A6D94.jpeg

Nothing surprising, but for the curious
-1/4 Cup rendered bacon grease
-3ish pnds tri tip or beef
-1 large white onion chopped
-3 large jalapeño or Serrano (I left out for my wife, still plenty Spicy )
- Green or red peppers diced, I used both
-5 garlic cloves crushed
-3 tablespoons chili powder
-1 tablespoon cumin
- large can peeled tomatoes
- 4 chipotle chili’s in adobo sauce chopped
-5 cups beef broth
-Salt/pepper to taste
-Beer optional, thickener optional

If meat is s already cooked, put All the chopped stuff in B grease until onions get soft, then throw in spices until fragrant, then beef broth and chipotles and leftover brisket. Simmer2-3 hrs.

Great flavor, I love the chipotles flavor in heavy stuff like this. Thank you for your time!

Greetings, the fall weather, and posts here, has kept me motivated for soups, stews, and Chili. But it’s warm enough where I am to keep smoking. So I went with both! One of my Daughters turned 5, so we had a party and the kids had cheese pizza dressed as princesses and I had smoked a good brisket for the adults to enjoy with beer…away from the kids!
Very traditional K. Salt and cracked pepper rub @ 220 with mesquite.
View attachment 515857View attachment 515858View attachment 515859

everyone was happy with the results!
View attachment 515861View attachment 515862View attachment 515863
The next day, after a few slices for breakfast, I started the Texas Style Chili, using the leftover brisket as my meat. I had also made a few gallons of beef broth a few weeks ago that was used as well….Cold leftover brisket before cubing:
View attachment 515865

View attachment 515866View attachment 515867
And a pretty amazing bowl of chili, the pot didn’t last long and I had to hide some for lunch the next day!
View attachment 515868View attachment 515869
Nothing surprising, but for the curious
-1/4 Cup rendered bacon grease
-3ish pnds tri tip or beef
-1 large white onion chopped
-3 large jalapeño or Serrano (I left out for my wife, still plenty Spicy )
- Green or red peppers diced, I used both
-5 garlic cloves crushed
-3 tablespoons chili powder
-1 tablespoon cumin
- large can peeled tomatoes
- 4 chipotle chili’s in adobo sauce chopped
-5 cups beef broth
-Salt/pepper to taste
-Beer optional, thickener optional

If meat is s already cooked, put All the chopped stuff in B grease until onions get soft, then throw in spices until fragrant, then beef broth and chipotles and leftover brisket. Simmer2-3 hrs.

Great flavor, I love the chipotles flavor in heavy stuff like this. Thank you for your time!
Excellent job! That brisket looks perfect!

Reactions: bauchjw
I can’t believe you had leftover brisket when it looks that good! Brisket chili is on my very short todo list. After your post, it’s moving up fast.

Nice looking brisket. Generally when I do a brisket I cut that flat end off because its always over cooked if the flat/point end is cooked perfectly. I save them and grind 'em for my chilis also.

Excellent job on that brisket!!

And Congrates to all the Marines !!

Nice looking brisket. Generally when I do a brisket I cut that flat end off because its always over cooked if the flat/point end is cooked perfectly. I save them and grind 'em for my chilis also.

Excellent job on that brisket!!

And Congrates to all the Marines !!
Thank you Foamy! Yes, I keep meaning to do that trim, but I get all excited to throw it in, usually amongst other chaos. But I’ll be sure to take note snd remember next time!
Thanks for the Congrats, no Marine Corps Birthday balls this year, but maybe next year? I’ve been to too many already though!

I love brisket ChilI & yours looks excellent!
Love that smoke ring!
Al
Thank you Al! I appreciate it. I feel strange saying that I almost liked the Chili better!
Looks really good! Thanks for sharing!
Thank you Yankee, I appreciate the compliment!

I can’t believe you had leftover brisket when it looks that good! Brisket chili is on my very short todo list. After your post, it’s moving up fast.
Thank you Sir! I felt bad, but hid a hunk because I knew I wanted to do this chili. I appreciate the compliment!

Looks good but I want to sse what Cheese Pizzas dressed like Princesses looks like!..JJ
Haha! It was everything you’d expect! Glitter, screaming, demands for cake…you know, a house full of princesses! Thank you for your time!

Man you nailed that brisket!! Nice smoke ring, perfect slices and passes the bend test for sure. Chili looks great too.

Thank you Sir! I appreciate the compliment! I was pretty proud of the meat and chili!

Excellent job! That brisket looks perfect!

Thank you Sir! I appreciate your time! We were happy with the results!

Man that's a beautiful brisket!! The chili looks absolutely awesome. I'd dive head first into a bowl of that....but hate to be the bearer of bad news: it ain't a Bowl O' Red :emoji_laughing:

Excellent job JW!!

Robert

If you don't mind how much did the brisket weigh before cooking and how long did it take
at what temperature. It does look great and it surely does look like you nailed it.

Thanks for the Congrats, no Marine Corps Birthday balls this year, but maybe next year? I’ve been to too many already though!

I was a last min date for a Lady Marine 46 years ago, Charleston, SC. Ya know I may try to get in again in another 4 years.

The "Boats" ball bumper stickers said, "Submariners have bigger balls" Then the date. LOL It was alot funnier back then.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky