Brisket Temperature has me baffled

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

TimNATC

Original poster
Jun 19, 2021
I am smoking a brisket. Started at 6 a.m. When the temperature reached 165 I wrapped it in butcher paper.
When the temperature reached 195 I cut the point off for burnt ends wrapped the flat and put back on the smoker.
When i put the temperature probe back into the brisket it read 165 20 minutes later it still read 165. I tried another probe and it read 158.
An hour went by and the probe is still reading 165. It is now 5:30.
Any ideas on why this would happen? What should I do?

Not a lot of details given, but a couple of questions come to mind:

1. What temp are you smoking the brisket at? If your going low and slow 225 to 240* then crank the heat up to 275*. Your pits recovery may be dragging do to the low temp(if that's the case)?

2. How long did it take you to remove the point from the flat? Residual cooking only last so long when the brisket is out and uncovered. If you brought the brisket in the house to separate the point/flat, and maybe stumbled with the slicing and wrapping then you could have lowered the brisket temp a few degrees. Couple that with a lower pit temp and bingo you reentered the twilight zone.

The are just guesses off the top of my head.

Chris

I was cooking at 225 then increased to 275 after I cut the point off.
It took 2-3 minutes tops to cut the point off. Never brought it inside.
I think I got it figured out. I think I had a couple of bad probes. Tried a third probe and now it is time to take it off and let it rest.
Thanks for the help!

Mate, just go until It’s probe tender, forget about temp at this stage.

I would turn up the heat, make sure it has no leaks in foil.

the probe should slide like butter.

I am smoking a brisket. Started at 6 a.m. When the temperature reached 165 I wrapped it in butcher paper.
When the temperature reached 195 I cut the point off for burnt ends wrapped the flat and put back on the smoker.
When i put the temperature probe back into the brisket it read 165 20 minutes later it still read 165. I tried another probe and it read 158.
An hour went by and the probe is still reading 165. It is now 5:30.
Any ideas on why this would happen? What should I do?

Try putting your meat temperature probes in ice water and see how close they get to 32°. Then heat some water up until it boils and put your meat temperature probes in and see how close they get to 212° and that will tell you which temperature probe is more accurate.
Also keep your temperature probes clean as that helps them read temperature more accurately... When you're done with your temperature probes resist the temptation to coil the wire up and stuff it somewhere until it's needed again but rather find a place where you can lay it out straight so you don't have to keep bending The wire because the more you bend the wire the sooner the wire will break...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky