Brisket technique question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jokensmoken

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Dec 7, 2016
Whitmore Lake Michigan
I've been invited by a local business owner to join a chef/caterer/competitive smoker to provide BBQ for their ribbon cutting/grand opening ceremony.
Specifically for my brisket.
I'll be working with the chef in a commercial kitchen doing the prep.
He suggests (insists) that the briskets be started in an oven hot and fast for a few hours then moved to the smokers.
I've never heard of this technique but he claims you cut your cook time in half and cannot tell the difference.
As a low and slow guy (experimenting with hot and fast) I dont want to butt heads with the "pro" but I'm apprehensive especially since I was invited specifically for MY brisket.
Have any of you ever heard of or tried this technique? I'd appreciate any opinion or actual shared experiences any of you may have...TIA
Walt

sounds like it's not gonna be (your) brisket than, some do hot and fast starting in the oven and or on the smoker. Since your the guest I say fallow his wishes under his direction than if anything goes wrong your covered.

sounds like it's not gonna be (your) brisket than, some do hot and fast starting in the oven and or on the smoker. Since your the guest I say fallow his wishes under his direction than if anything goes wrong your covered.
I am not the "guest" I am an integral part of the food service just as the "pro" we have both been in on the planning since the beginning...in fact it was my suggestion to do a BBQ and everyone jumped immediately on board. I was initially asked to do the whole thing and when I discovered they were expecting 200+ shared it was beyond my ability...the event coordinator then reminded the owner (and also a friend) that her husband was a caterer. I was then asked if I would work "with" not "for" and more specifically smoke the briskets and pulled pork.
I hate to say but the pro being "the pro" is being insistent.
I dont mind at all trying his way but need reassurance this is a proven technique...I know mine is and they've all eaten it that is the main reason they were receptive to the idea.

Last edited:
I'd advocate the other direction myself. I'd smoke them until the stall and then run them in the oven hot and fast. People that insist "you can't taste the difference" generally serve sh*t bbq imho. I'd personally dig my heels in if it was me, but I tend to do that more than others.

"sounds like it's not gonna be (your) brisket"

^^ I think that's a spot on thought.

He, the chef, insisted, huh? Sounds to me like you need to decide whether or not you want to spend your day subservient to the guy. I'd say the heck with that and smoke a brisket for friends and or family and enjoy my day.

But I'm old and grumpy and time is getting short.

Sounds like he is trying to run your show. Stand your ground.

Is it because of lack of time you "need" to do them Hot and Fast? If you have plenty of time I would stick to your guns and BBQ the way you normally do them.

Or if it gets to the stage where you want to hit him on the chin you could compromise and do his way and your way and compare? He might learn something in the process.

I have no problem taking short cuts... if the risk or potential outcome is known and understood. If it is simply a matter of pride in your quality, that is one thing no one can take away if you stand behind it. If you are ok with sacrificing a bit of quality for serving the masses then that decision should be ENTIRELY up to you. If you are receiving compensation for doing this also does play a part in whether you "sell out" or not.

Is it because of lack of time you "need" to do them Hot and Fast? If you have plenty of time I would stick to your guns and BBQ the way you normally do them.

Or if it gets to the stage where you want to hit him on the chin you could compromise and do his way and your way and compare? He might learn something in the process.
This is exactly what I'm doing...
I talked to the business owner who is also a friend of mine...
I'm going to "let the pro teach me a couple things" (who knows I might be supprised) and do two his way while I quietly do four on my equipment at home.
That eliminates my stress, makes sure my brisket gets served and quiets him down a bit and let's him "run the show" I couldn't give two hoots who's "in charge" as long as the food is good...
I can always chop one of his up for burnt ends and and throw the other back on the smoker and "overcook" it a bit, then pull, sauce and make brisket sliders.
I can crank that out in short order.

Reactions: Jabiru

No "lack of time" on my end. I'm semi retired and this is what I do now...kind of hobby turned into part time business, I'm selective about events I do and being I'm in Michigan and I'm getting old; I usually stop scheduling about this time of year anyway. I've got nothing on the books.

Sounds like you have a plan sorted and Business owner is on board. Boxes ticked. Compromising usually ends up a better result.

The comments from the other lads here say it all. End quality no matter how it’s done and the “pro” probably doesn’t even own a smoker. Your way ahead for starters.

I am no expert but wouldn’t you smoke the meat then finish in oven if time poor? At a certain heat I thought it couldn’t take smoke. The pro is saying opposite to the way a lot of people I know BBQ

Now you can relax a bit and think about your BBQ coming up and forget about this “pro”.

Interested in the end results.

I have no problem taking short cuts... if the risk or potential outcome is known and understood. If it is simply a matter of pride in your quality, that is one thing no one can take away if you stand behind it. If you are ok with sacrificing a bit of quality for serving the masses then that decision should be ENTIRELY up to you. If you are receiving compensation for doing this also does play a part in whether you "sell out" or not.
I am PICKY and if I cant serve MY food MY way I wont do an event.
I'm semi retired and this is my hobby turned part time business and I wont sacrifice my quality; The quality is exactly why why my idea was well recieved...I've spent a decade figuring out brisket (if you can say you ever really do), I love smoking and if/when it gets too stressful I'll just walk away and go back to "backyard" smoking for my family, friends and neighbors who love it and I've done.my best to throughly spoile over the years.
Sounds like you have a plan sorted and Business owner is on board. Boxes ticked. Compromising usually ends up a better result.

The comments from the other lads here say it all. End quality no matter how it’s done and the “pro” probably doesn’t even own a smoker. Your way ahead for starters.

I am no expert but wouldn’t you smoke the meat then finish in oven if time poor? At a certain heat I thought it couldn’t take smoke. The pro is saying opposite to the way a lot of people I know BBQ

Now you can relax a bit and think about your BBQ coming up and forget about this “pro”.

Interested in the end results.
I'll definetly provide an update because I am "comprising.
I've decided to do two his way and the rest my way...I may be pleasantly supprised.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky