Brisket question.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jokensmoken

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Dec 7, 2016
Whitmore Lake Michigan
I'm no expert but no novice either.
I've been invited by a local business and chamber of commerce to assist in a ribbon cutting ceremony and a BBQ meet and greet after.
I'm working with a professional caterer and competitive smoker and we are his commercial kitchen for our prep.
I dont doubt his expertise but he is suggesting I start my briskets (the main reason I was invited to participate) in the oven, hot and fast first...then go to the smokers.
I have never, ever heard of this technique and havent been able to find any information on this subject/technique, but he claims it is 100% legitimate, will cut my smoke time in half and produce the exact same results.
Have any of you kind folks ever heard of or used this technique and what is your opinion or experience.
I dont want to brag or butt heads with "the pro" but I'm extreamly confident in my technique and put out a mighty fine brisket even if I do say so.
TIA for any opinions or experiences you may have had doing this.
Walt

I have heard it the opposite way, start on smoker , finish in oven.. I wonder how the smoke ring looks his way? not to mention most of the smoke penetrates early in the cook.. I wrap my Briskets so his way wont work for me, no smoke flavor.. I say , stick to your way of cooking.. try his way at another time when there arent as many people.. my $00.02

I have heard it the opposite way, start on smoker , finish in oven.. I wonder how the smoke ring looks his way? not to mention most of the smoke penetrates early in the cook.. I wrap my Briskets so his way wont work for me, no smoke flavor.. I say , stick to your way of cooking.. try his way at another time when there arent as many people.. my $00.02
My feelings also.
I've FINISHED plenty in the oven but never started one.
I have the same concerns, smoke flavor and ring.
I've been perfecting "hot and fast" the last two I did in about 8 hours I couldn't tell the difference in one smoked at low n slow temps for 12+ hours...finished a 12 pounder hot n fast, paper wrapped at 165° in about 6 hours that was excellent...

Stick with the way you are comfortable with, cooking for a bunch of people isn’t the time to experiment in my opinion (some say worth exactly what you paid for it)

My feelings also.
I've FINISHED plenty in the oven but never started one.
I have the same concerns, smoke flavor and ring.
I've been perfecting "hot and fast" the last two I did in about 8 hours I couldn't tell the difference in one smoked at low n slow temps for 12+ hours...finished a 12 pounder hot n fast, paper wrapped at 165° in about 6 hours that was excellent...
Brisket is one of the meats that take time to perfect , I would have shakes his hand and said, no thanks, I got this.. lol

If you were hired to serve YOUR food, do so.

Smoke rings do not equal smoky flavor. If that is your main goal, there are chemicals that can create this.

If you were hired to serve YOUR food, do so.

Smoke rings do not equal smoky flavor. If that is your main goal, there are chemicals that can create this.
Smoke ring not required...smoke flavor is definetly required and I question how much I'll get taking 140° brisket from the oven to the smoker. NEVER, EVER heard of this technique. And yes, I'm there specifically for my brisket and pulled pork. The "pro" has chicken and ribs.

I'm working with a professional caterer and competitive smoker
To me that explains his " suggestion " All he cares about is food on the plate .

in the oven, hot and fast first...then go to the smokers.
Again , to me , a catering short cut . Puts it in a controlled cooker so he has no worries and gets it on it's way . Then uses the smoker for " show " when the people get there . They see meat coming out of a smoker .
Just my take on what he said .
Do what you know .

I'm not where in an expert or a comp cooker. I think the advise you have gotten is solid. Follow you own proven path. Good luck, I'm sure it will be great!

Have you got time to do a "practice run" with this method? That's how I did my turkey one year prior to the big event. If possible, give it a shot but for sure if you're not able to confirm the new cooking method I'd stick to what I knew. Consistency is key and you don't need any surprises on a big cook like this.

A friend was having a big party and wanted to do brisket. He had been to our parties and asked me how to cook one. He bought a nice smoker and everything. I detailed out my process, he said that he had it.

Fast forward to the party... the brisket was killer. Everyone raved about it. He gave me credit for the process. We started talking about it and I learned that he mixed it up (after an early start on the Crown Royal). He described how he wrapped it in foil and cooked it in the oven for 12 hrs at 225° and then put it on the smoker for a couple of hours. My jaw dropped but the meat was great!

I do not remember if there was a smoke ring (20 yrs ago) but the bark was fine.

We get caught up in our ways as we know they work and we don't want to ruin an expensive cut of meat. At that time, we routinely paid 99¢ a pound for brisket but that was still $16 or $17!

A friend was having a big party and wanted to do brisket. He had been to our parties and asked me how to cook one. He bought a nice smoker and everything. I detailed out my process, he said that he had it.

Fast forward to the party... the brisket was killer. Everyone raved about it. He gave me credit for the process. We started talking about it and I learned that he mixed it up (after an early start on the Crown Royal). He described how he wrapped it in foil and cooked it in the oven for 12 hrs at 225° and then put it on the smoker for a couple of hours. My jaw dropped but the meat was great!

We get caught up in our ways as we know they work and we don't want to ruin an expensive cut of meat. At that time, we routinely paid 99¢ a pound for brisket but that was still $16 or $17!
Okay...good info...I'm not to worried about "ruining"

Good info...im.not worried about ruining it...I'm more worried about the smoke flavor than anything else.

To me that explains his " suggestion " All he cares about is food on the plate .

Again , to me , a catering short cut . Puts it in a controlled cooker so he has no worries and gets it on it's way . Then uses the smoker for " show " when the people get there . They see meat coming out of a smoker .
Just my take on what he said .
Do what you know .
I'm thinking much the same...cook it in the oven...throw it in the smoker at the end for "effect"...

Have you got time to do a "practice run" with this method? That's how I did my turkey one year prior to the big event. If possible, give it a shot but for sure if you're not able to confirm the new cooking method I'd stick to what I knew. Consistency is key and you don't need any surprises on a big cook like this.
I am considering TWO practice runs...one "oven first" and one "hot and fast"...I did two hot this summer and it was much faster...10 hours unwrapped which was okay but not quite great but wrapped it was exceptional and done in about 6+1/2 hours. I'm certain he is worried about time constraints...and being a ribs and chicken guy may not be comfortable or like 15 hour plus cooks.

(after an early start on the Crown Royal)

I'm guilty of this.................Why I never have a drink until after 5 pm (although I reserve the right to choose the time zone :emoji_wink:)

I've made this comment before on a brisket thread about my parents. Dad cooked briskets on what we call the "bullet" - The old style Smoke N Grill. They were and still are awesome cookers but mom did briskets in the oven. No bark but as good of a brisket (meat wise - tender, juicy, & great flavor) as there is.

In the end, getting to the proper IT of the brisket is where success is found?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky