Brisket Separation Technique

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

pit 4 brains

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Dec 16, 2009
Summerville, SC
There's been alot of questions about identifying the point and flat then separating the two, so, I figured I'd show my technique..

Here is a normal packer brisket. This weighs in at about 16 lbs.

full.jpg

Here I have outlined the "corn" or "kernel" with a piece of butcher twine.

full.jpg

This string shows where the point and the flat meet. The flat is atop right of the string.

full.jpg

Again on the other side. Notice the definate line of fat all the way around.

full.jpg

I like to remove the corn first.

full.jpg

Again, here's the separation line.

full.jpg

Cut along the fat from the top towards the bottom. If you start cutting red meat, just shift up or down to get back into the fat.

full.jpg

It gets easier as you go. Find where the fat meets the meat and your on your way!

full.jpg

Voila! A separated brisket!

full.jpg

I like to trim most of the fat from my point. It's purely optional, I just think the meat is marbled enough on it's own.

full.jpg

Attachments

• 101.JPG
    101.JPG
    70.4 KB · Views: 91
Very nice information! Thanks Jeff, for " updating " it to a current thread. Have it bookmarked now.

Thanks Jeff!!
I remember learning this Method way back in 2009, from Pete & his posts like this one!

Bear

There's been alot of questions about identifying the point and flat then separating the two, so, I figured I'd show my technique..

Here is a normal packer brisket. This weighs in at about 16 lbs.

View attachment 646477

Here I have outlined the "corn" or "kernel" with a piece of butcher twine.

View attachment 646478

This string shows where the point and the flat meet. The flat is atop right of the string.

View attachment 646479

Again on the other side. Notice the definate line of fat all the way around.

View attachment 646480

I like to remove the corn first.

View attachment 646481

Again, here's the separation line.

View attachment 646482

Cut along the fat from the top towards the bottom. If you start cutting red meat, just shift up or down to get back into the fat.

View attachment 646483

It gets easier as you go. Find where the fat meets the meat and your on your way!

View attachment 646484

Voila! A separated brisket!

View attachment 646485

I like to trim most of the fat from my point. It's purely optional, I just think the meat is marbled enough on it's own.

View attachment 646486
Great post, pics and info.

What you refer to as the "corn" is also commonly called the "deckle", at least to my knowledge.

That corn/deckle should be removed no mater what as it won't really render down and is hard fat to toss out.

Just figured I would add that 2 cents of info to your great post :)

What you refer to as the "corn" is also commonly called the "deckle", at least to my knowledge.
Well I should have actually called the post "removing the deckle." You are correct but the deckle is that hunk of junk, the fat lining and the point altogether. But for the sake of answering questions I just called that thing the corn. I've heard it called a kernel too. What gets my goat is when you find a point or flat cut in the store and it is obvious that someone just cut a packer in half as it layed on the table and both pieces have portions of both muscles.
The flat is the main pectoral that does most of the work and the peckle attaches it to the ribs. (correct me if I'm wrong on that, I'm no doctor).
I'm glad Jeff resurrected this post and brought it forward..
-Pete

Well I should have actually called the post "removing the deckle." You are correct but the deckle is that hunk of junk, the fat lining and the point altogether. But for the sake of answering questions I just called that thing the corn. I've heard it called a kernel too. What gets my goat is when you find a point or flat cut in the store and it is obvious that someone just cut a packer in half as it layed on the table and both pieces have portions of both muscles.
The flat is the main pectoral that does most of the work and the peckle attaches it to the ribs. (correct me if I'm wrong on that, I'm no doctor).
I'm glad Jeff resurrected this post and brought it forward..
-Pete
If I ever see this AND it is mostly the Point AND it is on sale, i jump on it!
The Point is soooo amazing to me. The flat meh, in comparison.
I love them both and ground brisket for burger is amazing

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky