Brisket question in regards to making and selling Brisket Sandwiches

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Russell Newsom

Original poster
Dec 21, 2018
So here is the question I have for everyone. I am looking to start smoking briskets come spring for some local youth sporting events. My business partner has the connections to be able to sell our sandwiches to the concessions stands who in turn will sell them to their patrons.

I know that on average you should calculate around a 50% yield of cooked weight to raw weight. We are planning to make the sandwiches Chopped Brisket sandwiches.

Would you trim these as you would if you were going to serve them sliced to your family? Or would you leave a little more fat on them so there is a little filler when they are chopped to stretch the yield out a little?

Most folks I know trim the fat cap to 1/4 inch maximum. If I get more than that on a platter or sandwich, i will send it back and never go there again. Serve folks what you would eat IMHO.

Since this is going to be chopped for sandwhiches, and likely held and reheated.
I'd only trim any hard fat off and leave the rest.
There won't be enough weight in fat to make a significant difference profit wise alone, nor once chopped and mixed to effect overall quality.
You can save prep time, and time is money.
So I wouldn't worry about squaring it up either, leave what would otherwise be trimmed on and just mix it into the chop.

I would use the saved time to make an au jus or finishing sauce to mix into the chop to keep it moist.

I would keep it fatty too. Check out injecting if you really want to improve yields. Timely post! First brisket on deck and we're huge fans of chopping pulled pork so I might try some brisket chopped. We like it kinda big.

Are you in the foods service/catering business or is this something be doing out of you kitchen? If it something your kitchen/hobby you may want to rethink doing it.
Can you expand on this? why we may want to rethink this?

First, contact your friendly local Federal Meat Inspection Office for any and all advice on regulations concerning your commercial endeavor. This website does not portend to be any authority whatsoever on State/Federal regulations; it is strictly a site for smoking enthusiasts and amateur endeavors sharing ideas, tips, recipes and 'how-to's of smoking meats for personal enjoyment.
Second, find out, through them, what requirements are for commercial equipment, specifications, operation, procedures, etc.
Third, what regulations are necessary for the meats chosen to cook outdoors or in an inspected kitchen or facility - do they have to have a Federal Grading Stamp on them like USDA Select, Choice, Prime, or is No Roll acceptable? These are all rules and regulations that must be met and adhered to.
Thank you for giving us the opportunity to read and learn about your quest and accomplishments! The above has to be stated to avoid our website in being complicit with advice on commercial operation endeavors.

As in, do you require permits/licensing, insurance, special kitchen facilities or etc in order to provide food for resale?
Have already started looking into this for where I am, In Texas from what I have been able to find so far, if you make less than $50,000 a year you can still be classed as a "Home based catering" business that does not require as many if any at all licenses. Insurance is just good practice for any "side business" you do to protect yourself from any nastiness. I have also begun at looking to Incorporate
First, contact your friendly local Federal Meat Inspection Office for any and all advice on regulations concerning your commercial endeavor. This website does not portend to be any authority whatsoever on State/Federal regulations; it is strictly a site for smoking enthusiasts and amateur endeavors sharing ideas, tips, recipes and 'how-to's of smoking meats for personal enjoyment.
Second, find out, through them, what requirements are for commercial equipment, specifications, operation, procedures, etc.
Third, what regulations are necessary for the meats chosen to cook outdoors or in an inspected kitchen or facility - do they have to have a Federal Grading Stamp on them like USDA Select, Choice, Prime, or is No Roll acceptable? These are all rules and regulations that must be met and adhered to.
Thank you for giving us the opportunity to read and learn about your quest and accomplishments! The above has to be stated to avoid our website in being complicit with advice on commercial operation endeavors.

Thanks for the good info. This actually was more informative than some of the other remarks.

Most folks I know trim the fat cap to 1/4 inch maximum. If I get more than that on a platter or sandwich, i will send it back and never go there again. Serve folks what you would eat IMHO.
This was my fault, I trim the fat cap damn near completely off on the top side (all hard fat goes) in fact on the top side all (or at least as much as possible) goes along with the silverskin so that I can get my rub to penetrate the meat best. My biggest thought was the bottom side. I normally trim that pretty thin if I am smoking them in an offset. I will leave more fat on the bottom side if I am doing it on my Weber Kettle, just because of the potential for a little direct heat every now and then so it protects it.

I was thinking of not trimming the bottom nearly as much to add a little more juiciness and well filler for when it is chopped. I was also thinking a little extra fat in there when it is chopped might help keep the meat moist if any of my customers request that they want me to deliver the meat in trays and allow them to make the sandwiches themselves.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky