Brisket Point on Kettle - second time a charm

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

voltronic

Original poster
Sep 6, 2020
After purchasing my first ever Weber Kettle (Master Touch) a couple months back, one of the first things I did was smoke a brisket flat. It was tasty, but a few things were not great. I had temp inconsistency, didn't start early enough so had to foil wrap so there was no bark, and was not very tender.

This time I did a point, and changed a few things. It went so much better. I did a better job seasoning, leaving the lid closed, no water in the pan, no spraying, no wrap, and started early.

Seasoned with kosher salt an hour ahead, then pepper right before starting the cook. I used a 2x1 snake with Royal Oak Natural briquettes and Weber hickory chunks. Bottom vents full and top at half. I rotated the cooking grate and lid 1/4 turn every 3 hours so the thin side of the meat and the vent were always opposite the hot coals.

Pit temp with probe next to thin side stayed 230-240. Total time in kettle about 8.5 hours, rested 1 more hour.

I was very happy with how this came out, but any suggestions for further improvement are welcome. My wife did everything else on the plate, including the amazing dipping juice (beef broth, large marrow bone, garlic, rosemary, parmesan rind, cook it all day).

20210704_083453.jpg
20210704_091426.jpg
20210704_130730.jpg
20210704_165111.jpg
20210704_174706.jpg
20210704_184446.jpg

How far along the snake were you after 8 hours? It would take a lot longer if you used a whole brisket, and I was wondering if the kettle could handle much more than 8 hours. That's about the longest cook I've ever done on a kettle.

Looks fantastic. I always smoke my broth under my beef I’m the Lang or my cabinet. I usually have fresh thyme and rosemary in it. I’ll have to try it with a nice big bone and parm ribs in it next time.

Reactions: voltronic
That looks fantastic . Nice work . I do mine on a 26 " , and get 10 plus hours out of it at 260 . Thanks for posting .

I long cook/smoke many smaller items on the kettle using a snake.
Tried the side baskets a few times, but wasn't happy with temperature control.
Maybe look at a Slow N Sear? Don't have one, but read good things about it.

How far along the snake were you after 8 hours? It would take a lot longer if you used a whole brisket, and I was wondering if the kettle could handle much more than 8 hours. That's about the longest cook I've ever done on a kettle.

This picture is from the previous brisket, but the snake was about the same length this time. I probably had about 5 or 6 briquettes' length left, so I could have made it to 9 hours or a little more without adding fuel.

I don't think I could really fit an entire brisket on a 22" anyway, at least not without having some of it directly over the fire.
20210531_105048.jpg

Looks fantastic. I always smoke my broth under my beef I’m the Lang or my cabinet. I usually have fresh thyme and rosemary in it. I’ll have to try it with a nice big bone and parm ribs in it next time.

Parmesan rinds go into all of our broths, but for this jus, the marrow takes it to the next level. It's like having a stick of butter in there, but better.

Reactions: jcam222

One of the reasons I went for the Master Touch was because of the included baskets. Used them a couple times, and I had the same experience as you. They need to be bigger so you can get a full large chimney in them.

No interest in the Slow N Sear. I find it to be very expensive for what it is. Double that for the Vortex. The snake works for low and slow, and I use a full chimney of lump oak when I need high heat.

Reactions: chopsaw
I have a SnS. Works well enough that I don't use my WSM much these days. I can get 6+ hours out of it before adding more charcoal.

I like the way you set up the snake . Perfect . Here's my 26 after 10 hours . Still going strong .
20190903_152441.jpg
I only open the lid if I have to , and the 26 is a heavier gauge than the 22 , so I'm guessing that helps .
One thing I do , is when I add the meat I also add a small pile of lit charcoal to make up for the cold mass being added . That way I don't use up the snake getting back to temp .

No interest in the Slow N Sear. I find it to be very expensive for what it is. Double that for the Vortex. The snake works for low and slow, and I use a full chimney of lump oak when I need high heat.
I'm with you on this . A lot of opinions on here that I completely respect that love these things . I just don't see the need myself .
I also think the charcoal baskets go along with Webers way of starting with this many coals per side , and add so many per hour .
This thread makes me want to fire up a kettle .

I like the way you set up the snake . Perfect . Here's my 26 after 10 hours . Still going strong .
View attachment 502869
I only open the lid if I have to , and the 26 is a heavier gauge than the 22 , so I'm guessing that helps .
If I were doing this regularly for a crowd of people, then I would go with the 26. Nice to know it's heavier gauge. Maybe in 30 years when this one wears out, I'll upgrade!

One thing I do , is when I add the meat I also add a small pile of lit charcoal to make up for the cold mass being added . That way I don't use up the snake getting back to temp .
That's a really smart idea, especially since you are probably doing larger pieces than I am. This 5 lb point was only 46 deg when I put it on, and I was concerned it was going to crash the temp. It actually didn't do too badly, and I think that's because by the time I put the meat on, the snake had made it to my first chunk of hickory. When those light up, the pit temp spikes 20 or 30 degrees for several minutes.

My lack of understanding those temp spikes from the wood chunks led to one of my big mistakes the first time I used the snake. I didn't realize where the temp spikes were coming from and thought the charcoal was running too hot. I kept fiddling with the vents to try and control it. Not a good idea. Now that I know what is actually happening, I know to just relax, walk away, and don't check the temps more than once an hour. I think this is the biggest adjustment necessary for someone like me who only cooked over gas for many years, which is much more forgiving of fiddling. Charcoal likes to be left alone.

I kept fiddling with the vents to try and control it. Not a good idea. Now that I know what is actually happening, I know to just relax, walk away,
Yup , I've been there . Sounds like you have it figured out .
Here's something else I did that really helped with vent adjustment .
Took a visual look at vent position from the top and marked the location on the outside .
Open and closed are a given , but first mark is 1/4 open , second is half open .
This is on the slotted opening . The new ones have a P shaped slot . So maybe different marks needed . You're all over it , I just like to talk Kettles .
Enjoy .
20210306_111636.jpg

^ Weber finally figured your idea out on new kettles. There are now holes to know where bottom vent is. No Sharpie needed.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky