Brisket point for chili

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

OldSmoke

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 5, 2020
Oregon
I’d like to make some chili with brisket and invite a few friends over to share it. I’d like to use a brisket point. The butcher has some nice 4-5 pounders. I have not smoked a brisket yet, I’m still a virgin.

Can you help me out with some tips to smoke the point for chili?

I plan to smoke the brisket, cube it up, then put the chili uncovered in the smoker to simmer for a bit.

I‘ve got the cast iron skillet corn bread tasting pretty good, now to figure out the brisket.

Reactions: negolien
Hey! Brisket chili is awesome. Good call! My opinion, but the points are actually pretty easy, don’t stress too much. I think flats are better for chili, they keep more form. You can smoke to before it’s probe tender and finish in the simmer. For point, only use salt and pepper to reduce conflict with other chili flavor. Cook the point until probe tender though, risk of Unrendered fat should be avoided. Points are pretty smooth cook.

Would you recommend running 250-275 for the smoke?

Reactions: bauchjw
Yes. 250-275 will be perfect. Most agree no need to stay low at 225 and that is more of a traditional temp than anything else. Especially for a chili meat having it higher won’t hurt. You just don’t want it so high that there’s a big different between the outer temp and inside

A vertical propane Frankinbuilt.

B29252E2-3037-4D8A-A4BD-D3A40672B03D.jpeg

I’ve never used one, sorry I can’t help with that. But, like I said before, point shouldn’t be a big problem, the flat is usually what gets people. I’ve only used the flat in chili, but I’m sure the points will be delicious. Remember to cook for when it’s probe tender, poking tooth pick in like butter.

I should also offer may be best todo the point and chili the day before. That way if there is a mistake, you have time to recover, but also chili always tastes better the next day. You can reheat in the smoker, when they show up the smoke smell and chili in the cabinet offers a little showmanship!

Reactions: OldSmoke
You can smoke the point to about an IT of 180, then cube it up & make burnt ends and add them to the chili. We did exactly that a couple of weeks ago, and my wife & I both decided that chili with burnt ends in it is killer. There are a bunch of threads on making burnt ends, but it is basically cubing the point & adding bbq sauce & rub, then back in the smoker for 45 minutes to an hour. Good luck & take some photo’s!
Al

I should also offer may be best todo the point and chili the day before.

That is exactly my plan. Yea, bbq sauce, chili, spaghetti all taste better the next day. Easier on the cook too. I like your idea about a little showmanship!

I’ve never used one, sorry I can’t help with that.

That part I have down. The mods I have made are working great. I load the smoking tube with a mix of chips and pellets, then set the temp, and kick back with a cold one and watch it go. It is very consistent.

The invites to the neighbors just went out - I'm committed now!

Besides cornbread, what sides do you like with your chili, besides beer?

Yup sounds like a plan as u can see some of the guys have links to their recipes under their posts I HIGHLY suggest lookin thru them people like bear and al have a buttload of recipes and some are for stuff just like that. I sent u a PM with a hey grill hey brisket chili recipe just to use as a pointer.

I like cornbread with chili, but amazing, warm homemade bread with butter is top of my list! Or…since I’m still baking challenged I pick up a local loaf at bakery or farmers market and warm it in the oven.

I’ve never done it personally, but maybe some baked potatoes, shredded cheese, bacon,diced green onion & jalapeños,, sour cream, etc and make it a potato bar? Maybe throw in a pork butt with the point too for a second protein option?

Since the chili will simmer for at least three hours, should I pull the brisket point prior to probe tender?

• Love
Reactions: negolien
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky