Brisket On the New Pit Boss Copperhead 7 Series

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

abetheham

Original poster
Nov 19, 2013
Michigan
I bought a new Pit Boss Copperhead 7 Series smoker last weekend and was finally able to do the first smoke this weekend. I have 2 kids under 3, so I wanted a smoker that I wouldn't have to tend to quite as much, and this pellet smoker definitely allows for that. The brisket was a 14lbs packer brisket before trimming. I trimmed Thursday night and applied the rub, wrapped in plastic wrap and placed in the fridge. Friday night at midnight, I started the smoker. I used a mix of hickory and apple pellets. I thought I bought cherry pellets, but mistakenly grabbed apple. Let it heat up to 225 and placed the brisket in the smoker. I read about temp swings on this type of smoker, which worried me a little bit. I stayed up for the first hour of the smoke to see what the swings would be. It would go up to 250 and down to 210, which I was pretty happy with. Decided I would trust the smoker and went to bed. Basically the only work I had to do was add water to the water pan about every 4 hours. When the water would get low, the temp spikes would get higher. Once the color of the bark was the color that I like, I wrapped in aluminum foil and poured a can of beef consume in the bottom of the foil. After 16.5 hours, the flat temp was 198 and probes would slide into it like butter so I removed from the smoker, rewrapped in new foil, wrapped in 2 towels, and let it sit for an hour and a half while we made the sides. 30 mins before eating, I removed from the towel/foil wrap, loosely tented with foil, and then sliced the flat and chopped the point. Lots of compliments from our guests. I was very happy with the results, can't wait to use this smoker again. It almost feels like cheating it was so easy. Sorry for the lack of pictures, didn't really think to take any until it was too late.
brisket.jpg

Phenomenal job! I'm with ya on the "cheating feel". I still poke and prod too much at mine. Better spritz... better rotate sides... check water pan...
rofl.gif

Hard to just sit back and stare at it, but I'm adjusting.

Well done again
cheers.gif

The meat looks great. I'm on the fence over these vertical pellet smokers. Looked at the Pit Boss and the Masterbuilt. Seems to be more bad reviews than good. Mostly centered around temp swings. I am interested in your opinion as you gain more hours on this unit...JJ

Reactions: thebattman
Now that's a brisket you can be proud of. Nice Job.

Point for sure.

Chris

After I get a few smokes in, I will try to do a review of the smoker. If the temp swings are going to be between 210 and 250 when set at 225, I can live with that since that's where I normally smoke.

Beautiful bark and smoke ring. I would label this cook a smashing success!!

I bought a pellet smoker about mid summer and also have been feeling guilty with how easy it makes the process. So now I just tell people "I had to smoke that brisket for 13 hours!" implying that I had to be doing something the entire time. Is it honest? Not quite. Do I care? Not really. After all, I still have to mix the rub, prepare the meat, and plug the smoker in!! So yeah, it's a lot of work. ;)

After I get a few smokes in, I will try to do a review of the smoker. If the temp swings are going to be between 210 and 250 when set at 225, I can live with that since that's where I normally smoke.
And considering stick burners can have wider swings, with lots more labor and tending!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky