• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Brisket issues

lilandysbbq

Joined Nov 28, 2020
I started a 18lb brisket last night around 10, and was running at 240-250 I dozed off around 11:45 I woke up around 3 and realized the fire had died down to basically nothing my pit was at 76 and the internal temp was at 92 on the brisket. I fired it back as soon as I could, did I get it in time?

JLeonard

Master of the Pit
Joined Apr 17, 2020
Any idea how long it was at low temps? Im not a expert. I'm sure others will weigh in here soon.
Jim

indaswamp

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
Joined Apr 27, 2017
You are good. 11:45-3am is within the 4 hours at 40-140*F danger zone....keep on cooking...

TuckersBarbeque

Meat Mopper
SMF Premier Member
Joined Oct 29, 2020
You should be fine! If you were closer to 5 am I'd worry, because of the 40-140 rule. I say keep on cooking.

You could maybe accelerate with a wrap so you can minimize the amount of moisture lost... your call.

chopsaw

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Dec 14, 2013
Keep cooking . Post up some pics when you're done .
If your brisket is intact ( no injection or cuts to the surface ) the inside is sterile . Your smoker was at a high enough temp to kill of the bad stuff that was on the outside .
40 to 140 / 4 hours or not .
Enjoy that brisket .

SecondHandSmoker

Master of the Pit
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 30, 2018
If your brisket is intact ( no injection or cuts to the surface ) the inside is sterile . Your smoker was at a high enough temp to kill of the bad stuff that was on the outside .
40 to 140 / 4 hours or not .
Enjoy that brisket .

:emoji_arrow_up::emoji_arrow_up::emoji_arrow_up: This! :emoji_arrow_up::emoji_arrow_up::emoji_arrow_up:

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.