Brisket holding question.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jokensmoken

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Dec 7, 2016
Whitmore Lake Michigan
What's the best way to hold a finished brisket for about 12 hours...
I'm thinking in the oven, but I've never held one more than a couple hours...and always in a cooler
Any pointers or advice would be appreciated.
TIA
Walt
OR...who's finished brisket into the oven after about 6 hours on the smoker?
I never have but that is also an option...
I'm doing two butts, two briskets, burnt ends and 6 or 8 racks of ribs.
Butts are smoking Wednesday... I know exactly how to handle those.
My objective is to not have to babysit my smoker all night Friday night (I really need a guru for my WSM) So the thought was to start the briskets early enough Friday to have them off the smoker midnight-ish...grabbing a few hours of sleep and doing the ribs and burnt ends early saturday.
But putting the brisket in the oven about midnight accomplishes the same thing...BUT...I've never done that either...lol...

Last edited:
Gonna try the Franklin thing? I would park in an aluminum pan and foil and use the smoker if you can. Easy for me with my MES.

Reactions: jokensmoken
Gonna try the Franklin thing? I would park in an aluminum pan and foil and use the smoker if you can. Easy for me with my MES.
I'm smoking 6 or 8 slabs of baby backs and doing burnt ends Saturday morning...
I'm doing two briskets and ribs for a 1:00 meal Saturday.
The plan is to have the briskets done midnight-ish and being held till meal time...catching some sleep and doing the ribs and burnt ends Saturday morning.
I'll remove the points right off the smoker, I'm just not sure about holding the flats that long...
My thought is in the oven set about 160°...but how to treat them; Wrap? if so, foil or butcher paper; tight like I would resting or lose so the bark doesnt get soft...
Or as you say, in a covered foil pan.
And do I add any liquid while I'm holding them...
Some of the guests will be the new owners of a small resturant in town and I'm wanting to impress...
I know my food is good, I've just never held brisket for more than a couple hours.

Have you thought about doing the ribs ahead of time and just throwing them in the fridge the day before? They reheat real well wrapped in foil on the grill. That way the day of your get together you can focus on the brisket. 12 hours is a long time to hold a brisket, I'm not sure at what point you sacrifice quality, but certainly the ribs will be more forgiving.

Wow, 12 hours holding time on a brisket. Never done it, but I've seen high volume restaurants do it on TV. They have a vat of liquid they keep at 150F filled with smoked/cooked briskets, pastramis, corned beef, etc. If you have one of those induction plates where you can set the temp, you could do the same thing. The bark would be soft, but the meat tender and juicy.

Wow, 12 hours holding time on a brisket. Never done it, but I've seen high volume restaurants do it on TV. They have a vat of liquid they keep at 150F filled with smoked/cooked briskets, pastramis, corned beef, etc. If you have one of those induction plates where you can set the temp, you could do the same thing. The bark would be soft, but the meat tender and juicy.
What's the best way to hold a finished brisket for about 12 hours...
I'm thinking in the oven, but I've never held one more than a couple hours...and always in a cooler
Any pointers or advice would be appreciated.
TIA
Walt
I would wrap in foil then in large towel or blanket and put it in a cooler. It will stay hot for many hours.

Have you thought about doing the ribs ahead of time and just throwing them in the fridge the day before? They reheat real well wrapped in foil on the grill. That way the day of your get together you can focus on the brisket. 12 hours is a long time to hold a brisket, I'm not sure at what point you sacrifice quality, but certainly the ribs will be more forgiving.
Hadn't really considered that...it was the unpredictability of the brisket cook time that prompted me to think of doing that first...I know pretty close with ribs (within an hour anyway) how long they will take...same with the burnt ends.
I thought I could start the briskets early enough friday to avoid an all night smoke and just get up early saturday and do the ribs and burnt ends...but my concern is, as you point out...12 hours is a long time to hold brisket...that's why I asked for advice here..
Never held a brisket that long...couple three hours tops...I suppose I could try to time the stall for midnight on the two briskets and then finish over night in the oven where I can truly set it and forget it...gonna have to think some more on this...
How do I get my self into these predicaments...lol...

I've left a brisket soaking in its own juices in a foil covered pan in the oven at 165° for 8-10 hrs with no negative affects. The bark was (of course) not crispy but the flavor was fine.

I've left a brisket soaking in its own juices in a foil covered pan in the oven at 165° for 8-10 hrs with no negative affects. The bark was (of course) not crispy but the flavor was fine.
Thank you...I suspected it would be okay...I'm actually adjusting my plan a bit...I've decided the only way to be sure is to do the brisket last...it means being up half the night Friday but in this case I want to be top notch. The event is important to me and I know exactly how pulled pork and ribs hold...I'll do butts thursady, ribs early friday and hold them and start the brisket early evening friday and just run through the night.
Thanks for the advice...one of these days I'm going to do it just to know what to expect...this event however isnt one I want to experiment with...I'm going with what I know.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky