Brisket Flats & Points

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

derrikmo

Original poster
Dec 10, 2012
Houston, TX
Why is it that all of the chain grocers regularly market brisket flats but you never see the points in the meat case?  What do the meat cutters do with all of those points?   I would love to be able to buy just the point for a smoke as all of my family and friends seem to prefer the moister, more tender meat of the point.

Has anyone ever tried to get just the point from a chain grocer?  Did you gave any luck?  I assume the smoking process would be the same as for a full brisket, correct?

Thanks in advance for your help.

DerrikMo

Except the points have a lot of marbled fat in them.... I'll guess that they're grinding them into burger meat....

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I think they don't think there's a big market for Points, because of the fat.

They don't realize how many of us would choose the Points over the Flats any day!!!

Like Al, I'd be all over them!!!

Bear

I am going today to see a butcher to hook me up with points    -- he says they usually grind them up - works for big chain

So wish me luck in picking up some points.

AL - so I don't have to PM you (lol) how would I smoke these??? Want to do them burnt ends

usa.gif

I am going today to see a butcher to hook me up with points    -- he says they usually grind them up - works for big chain

So wish me luck in picking up some points.

AL - so I don't have to PM you (lol) how would I smoke these??? Want to do them burnt ends

usa.gif
I probably would do a batch of burnt ends.

But the point makes the BEST pastrami you ever ate.

That is where they would go.

We get Choice packers here for under $3 lb. I separate them & cure & smoke the point for pastrami, cut the flat in half & cure one half for corned beef.

I think the flat cooked all day in a crock pot makes the best corned beef. With the other half I smoke it as smoked brisket. Sliced, chopped in chili or tacos, etc.

Al

Got the point and a part of flat - 6llbs

Family wants burnt ends as I'm the only one who likes pastrami except for mom and dad - wife and kids just DON'T KNOW

This should happen sat or Sunday --- qview to follow

I'm thinking most of the points are being made into corned beef. I see 5 CB points for 1 CB flat. And the points are usually a $1 or 2 cheaper per lb.

The only way I can get points is if I go to my local butcher and order them. But there stupid expencive at $7.00 a lb.

I don't ever think I have bought a flat, I always get Whole Packers

Gary

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky