Brisket Cost per Lb - August 2017

Discussion in 'Beef' started by normonster, Aug 18, 2017.

1. normonster

normonster Fire Starter

In the California Bay Area, about 7.99/lb (Safeway, Lucky, etc).

What are you guys payin' these days?

Last edited: Aug 18, 2017
  2. Rings Я Us

Rings Я Us Master of the Pit Group Lead

3. Rings Я Us

We pay $3.69 average for whole ones and $4.99 for small sections trimmed. Michigan southeast section. Today thru next week at a local chain (GFS) has them for $2.59 😎 per lb

4. I bought two this past week at Sams Club.  One was USDA Prime for $3.97 lb.

5. sqwib

sqwib Smoking Guru OTBS Member

I rarely buy brisket anymore, its an "over-glorified" piece of meat that isn't worth my hard earned money or time IMHO anyway. Unless I can get it real cheap [​IMG]

6. Rings Я Us

Chuck roast is $3.99 to $4.99 . That's really sad. Kroger has buy one get one free chuck roast but they raise the regular price to $5.99 first.

7. Rings Я Us

In fact, I had to stop in and get a brisket just now.. couldn't resist lol.

8. normonster

normonster Fire Starter

Ahhhh!!! Dang, that hurts my feelings. 😮

9. Rings Я Us

😂🍺

10. normonster

normonster Fire Starter

So does that mean you guys are paying like .29 a Lb for pork butt then? Or are they paying you to haul it away!!!

11. Rings Я Us

Ha.. it's $1.69 average. That would be hard on hog farmers . 😂

12. mneeley490

mneeley490 Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Last time I looked at my Costco, they had prime brisket for $2.89 lb.

13. noboundaries

noboundaries Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Winco, Sam's Club, Costco, Walmart are the only places you can pick up a decent brisket for a decent price in NorCal, less than $5 a lb.  The cheapest I've seen chuck roast lately is $3.59 / lb at Winco.  Normally it is in the $5.99 range. 

Still, all those prices beat what we were seeing last year out here on the West Coast.  Even Costco was $7.99/lb to $8.99/lb and higher. My local Raley's/Bel Air/Safeway were ridiculous with even higher prices.  When that happens, pork and chicken. 

14. browneyesvictim

browneyesvictim Smoking Fanatic ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Check out this place in San Fran: https://www.smartfoodservice.com/content/store/48/

Packer Briskets are on sale right now for $2.29 per lb. Normally $2.54 per lb.

You can also get the Angus packers for $2.59 per lb.

At least these are the current prices for my location. I don't know if there is any adjustment to the price down there.

15. greg1

greg1 Fire Starter

Picked up a packer at GFS today in Central Indiana for 2.89, they also had bone in shoulders for 1.29.

16. Rings Я Us

I think location, shipping, trends and climate all must play into it.
    My area nobody really buys brisket. It's popular in restaurants though. It's cold or raining here alot. Not a big smoking area. People grill alot though. And the ethnic makeup of suburban Detroit is European and Latin American, African American. Not to many south gulf area or southwestern traditions here that would lend to bbq beef. Smoking is more polish type.. sausages. Low and slow is catching on however.
    I'm curious to see what people in N.Y. city would pay for a packer brisket.

17. smokinal

smokinal Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Last time I looked they were $1.97 for Choice down here at Walmart.

Al

18. Rings Я Us

Can you load a Uhaul full Al? Bring us up a few hundred. Sell them for $2.50 per pound. and make ya $7.50 profit on each one. .50¢ x 15 lbs. 🤓 400 briskets = $3,000.00 lol... but you need 18k to buy them of course.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2017
  19. smokedfl813

smokedfl813 Newbie

Paid $7.99/lb for brisket flat at publix in Tampa Bay Area couple days ago. Seems rather expensive to what must of you are getting it for. I haven't really been able to find a decent meat market in my area

20. normonster

normonster Fire Starter

I hit Costco in Santa Rosa and they had "ungraded: whole packers for 3.somthing (I think) and choice flats for 5.89 (got one for the upcoming weekend). A little better than Safeway or Lucky in the North Bay Area of California.

Also picked up a pork belly for 3.69/Lb and I have high hopes for that bad boy!!