Brisket Comparison ---------

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gary s

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jan 6, 2011
Good afternoon, To those of you who know me I have posted a lot on Briskets.
So.............. If everything goes as planned and weather permitting I am going to smoke a
Prime Brisket and a Select Brisket along with some ribs and beans.
This will be my first Prime, Gunna invite the neighbors and Grand kids over. I want to do a bling taste test. Flavor, Tenderness, Texture and overall opinion.

If it all comes together I'll Post Pics and Findings

Gary

So.............. If everything goes as planned and weather permitting I am going to smoke a
This will be my first Prime, Gunna invite the neighbors and Grand kids over. I want to do a bling taste test. Flavor, Tenderness, Texture and overall opinion.

Gary

Fantastic!

Word of advice with a prime brisket. Probe it a few degrees earlier than you do on non-prime brisket.
I've done a handful of prime briskets and I believe some of them have gotten tender at like 199-200F vs 203'ish.

Other than that enjoy! :)

Reactions: hardcookin
Gary,
Very interested in your research...popular belief here is "smoking low and slow makes less desireable meat taste better so why spend the extra for prime." Keep us in the loop!
Teddy

Reactions: JC in GB
I'd be cautious not to draw any hard conclusions based on a single data point. There are too many variables involved. Some of the best briskets I've turned out were select, but overall I've had consistently better results with prime.

But still, interested in seeing the results.

Gary
This could save me a lot of money. Hope it goes well.

IMG_5789.JPG
Just stuck a Prime Brisket in my 30MES. Butcher gave me a great deal on it because someone ordered it and didnt come pick it up. He knows I smoke quite a few - asked me to come back with my notes on if it is worth the extra $$. Wasn't a real big one - 13 lbs, trimmed down to about 11 I'd guess. Gonna be an all night smoke with a pork butt joining the party later tonight. Should be perfect timing for folks driving and flying in tomorrow afternoon - Family Time!

Last edited:
Fantastic!

Word of advice with a prime brisket. Probe it a few degrees earlier than you do on non-prime brisket.
I've done a handful of prime briskets and I believe some of them have gotten tender at like 199-200F vs 203'ish.

Other than that enjoy! :)
Great input!!

We had storms last night got 1.75 inches of rain, supposed to be nice the rest of the week so it will be on.
Some of you that know me, know that I have been smoking for over 50 years, and hundreds of Briskets.
As I said my first prime. The ONLY reason is curiosity. Most of you know or should know that Smoking Briskets started out in a lot of meat markets years and years ago because it was not really a sell able piece of meat. So rather than throw it out they started cooking it, which I am glad they did. It was a tough piece of meat, that after a long slow cook transforms to something fantastic. I never crossed my mind to spend two or three times the amount on a prime brisket. Steaks YES
since I like mine between rare and med rare hot and fast and looking for tenderness and flavor.
I am looking forward to seeing if Prime is really that much better in a brisket.............

Gary

I've seen a couple of these, but never any done by the "Brisket Man" !!!

This is gonna be Highly Interesting!!

Be Back!!

Bear

Thanks John. You know me I'm Pretty Critical when it comes to Brisket.

Gary

Thanks John. You know me I'm Pretty Critical when it comes to Brisket.

Gary

Gary I don't know if you have an Albersons in Whitehouse but they have limit 1 Choice Brisket packers for $1.39 a pound with the grocery flier coupon and a $25 purchase excluding the brisket cost :)

I'm tempted to get one but I have a 22 pound turkey and 17 pounds of pork butt in the freezer on top of my packed game freezer full of meat :emoji_disappointed: ... first world problems aye :P

Reactions: JC in GB
We used to I'd have to drive to Longview about 45 min.

Gary

We used to I'd have to drive to Longview about 45 min.

Gary

Oh well, not worth the gas. If you happen to be passing through Longview or some town with an Albersons for the holiday weekend then maybe you can grab one :)

Smoker Going and Briskets on .........

Gary

Reactions: meatallica
70 degrees here and lots of sunshine

Gary .......... and SMOKE :emoji_astonished:

Your'e right, Patients ------ ready when it's ready

Gary

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky