Brisket Brined for PASTRAMI Question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

MyHandsRBurning

Original poster
Jan 23, 2021
Sudbury Canada
Hi All ....
Here's the deal .... New NEW Newbie on here ... So am learning how this all works. From Northern Canada ...
I've been smoking for about 5 yrs now - Started with a little Bradley Kettle Smoker - Then onto an Oklahoma Joe and Bradley 6 rack digital.
I use both the latest ones now. Last week I trimmed and cut an 11 pound brisket to smoke in a couple of weeks. I've got them in 2 Brining Pots, but have to store them outdoors on my deck. Was going to Brine for 2 1/2 - 3 weeks.

My question is: If the meat goes through a 'Freeze 'n Thaw' cycle many times...
Will this affect the meat & final product?

As I said, I'm in Canada and the Temp. gets down to -20 C. I don't have any room in my fridge or kitchen so I store them on the deck - but bring them indoors during the day - then back outside. They've NEVER been in the temperature "Danger Zone"

Any help / advice or tips would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks much.

Welcome from CO.
You are fine with the meat. Freezing bursts the cells in the meat. The more times this done freeze/thaw the more cells are ruptured. In the end you will have a fine product that is less capable of carrying moisture. In other words the final product will be less juicy. Otherwise it’s fine and usually juicy enough. Never can beat fresh, but sometimes we work with what we have.

Welcome from CO.
You are fine with the meat. Freezing bursts the cells in the meat. The more times this done freeze/thaw the more cells are ruptured. In the end you will have a fine product that is less capable of carrying moisture. In other words the final product will be less juicy. Otherwise it’s fine and usually juicy enough. Never can beat fresh, but sometimes we work with what we have.
Thanks Much... Do you recommend desalinating overnight in water - when ready to smoke.... AND should I try injecting the meat ??
Appreciate your help.
Wally

I'm not sure what the right answer is but your method is not something I would do. It's my understanding that the curing process does not occur at temperatures below 34 degrees . Also going through the freeze thaw cycle 17 to 21 times(2 1/2 to 3 weeks) would certainly degrade the meat quality. It sounds like you are doing a wet brine and I can certainly understand not having the storage room for a couple of buckets in your refrigerator. You could separate the point and cut the flat in half then use a dry brine and store them in 3 zip locks in the fridge taking up very little room. It would be cured in less than a week as long as none of the pieces was over 2 inches thick so it wouldn't take up space for too long. Just a suggestion that might work for you.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky