Brisket #2

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

CJDrums

Original poster
Jun 18, 2018
Granite Bay, CA
last week I did a prime flat and I posted the story... figured I’d try again with a full brisket.

Kinda seeing the same issues here as last week.

14 pound Prime Brisket from Costco and cooking on an ancient Traeger Lil Tex set to 250 degrees.

Started at about 6 am. The following are the meat temps about every hour. Isn’t it weird that, for the second time now, there’s no stall???

On grill at 6:10 am. Two temp probes, one in Flat (F) and the other in the Point (P).
8:20
F: 153
P: 145

9:10
F: 163
P: 158

10:10
F: 174
P: 174

11:10
F: 184
P: 189 (nope, not a typo!)
I just put the brisket in a foil pan with beef broth and Worcestershire. I did this last week and the temp dropped 10 or so degrees and then had a slight stall. Let’s see what this one does. Stay tuned. Seems to be cooking way faster than I thought.

Yep.

Attachments

• A18F9850-CD7B-4973-A75A-D7FE8AF1A524.jpeg
    A18F9850-CD7B-4973-A75A-D7FE8AF1A524.jpeg
    139.3 KB · Views: 48
Update.
12:10
F: 192
P: 192 Brisket now in pan with liquid. I warmed the liquid a bit before putting in in and the temp never lowered. Continuing to climb. 6 hours at 250. No stall at all. Starting to worry a bit.

The temp probe in it is a Brookstone. Just checked it with my Maverick and the point temp is 4 degrees lower and the flat is off by about 12 (lower). I would have thought the point would have been lower in temp than the flat.
Learning...

10 hours. No wrap, just the foil pan and liquids. Temp at 4:05 was 203.

Pulled off, put in Pyrex with foil cover. Wrapped in towel, chillin in the cooler. I’ll post pics at about 6-7 pm.

Pulled it at 4:05. 9 hours and 55 minutes. Temp read 203 in the middle of the flat. Let it rest about an hour and forty five minutes.

Sliced up the flat. Mid section is great. Nice and tender with great pull but the ends of the flat are stiffer. Is that cooked too much or too little? Saving the point...

Pulled it at 4:05. 9 hours and 55 minutes. Temp read 203 in the middle of the flat. Let it rest about an hour and forty five minutes.

Sliced up the flat. Mid section is great. Nice and tender with great pull but the ends of the flat are stiffer. Is that cooked too much or too little? Saving the point...

The ends are probably quite a bit over cooked. They may be true burnt end consistency.
I always recommend trimming off the thin portion of the brisket Flat so that what is left is about the same uniform thickness. I also cut off any hanging pieces that are going to burn/crust up from the point or sides if they are dangling. Here is a visual for what I mean:

You can still smoke that good trimmed meat just pull it out way before the whole brisket finishes :)

Good to know, I did not do that and the green area you show is exactly where this one was more firm. Still good, we ate like hogs but not as good as the flat I did last week. Thanks!

Reactions: tallbm
Sure looks good to me . I just did my first one , so no expert advice from me . I did trim mine the way tallbm showed . I used the trim to make burgers .
Nice work .

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky