Brinkmann Trailmaster Limted Edition - mods

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I am getting great Q, but still dialing in my tuning plates.

Very little movement makes a big difference.

Anyone else still playing with their plates ?

Always playing with them!  Since going to stick burning, I've almost started over.  Thinking about taking some of them out.  Firebox side was about 100* hotter than the stack side this weekend.  I may need to re-calibrate my thermos, make sure they are reading correctly.  Pork butt and brisket turned out ok....not great.  The bark was a bit...crispy fried, if you know what I mean.  
words.gif

Here is something to read, I found this, hope it might be some help to who all reads it.

BBQ Tuning Plates

How to adjust BBQ tuning plates the first mistake most people make is adjusting the plate before the BBQ Pit has come up to full temp.

Allow the BBQ Pit two hours to heat up. Just because you see the temp gauges shows 250 degrees or so does not mean that the pit is actually heated up. This could be hot air and smoke so allow time for the steel from the fire box to transfer heat to the cooking space.

Tuning

if you’re BBQ Pit does not have multiple temp gauges you will need to get some temp gauges to put on  the Pits cooking grades, oven thermostats  will do fine.  BBQ Tuning Plates are designed to be adjusted horizontally. Look at you’re temp gauges if one is hotter than the other. On the hotter side close the plates were there is less hot air coming threw and the colder side open the plates. Then close the Pit give it 15 min to recover and adjust again. You will adjust less and less as you get as you’re Pit gets closer and closer to even temp.

Here is something to read, I found this, hope it might be some help to who all reads it.

BBQ Tuning Plates

How to adjust BBQ tuning plates the first mistake most people make is adjusting the plate before the BBQ Pit has come up to full temp.

Allow the BBQ Pit two hours to heat up. Just because you see the temp gauges shows 250 degrees or so does not mean that the pit is actually heated up. This could be hot air and smoke so allow time for the steel from the fire box to transfer heat to the cooking space.

Tuning

if you’re BBQ Pit does not have multiple temp gauges you will need to get some temp gauges to put on  the Pits cooking grades, oven thermostats  will do fine.  BBQ Tuning Plates are designed to be adjusted horizontally. Look at you’re temp gauges if one is hotter than the other. On the hotter side close the plates were there is less hot air coming threw and the colder side open the plates. Then close the Pit give it 15 min to recover and adjust again. You will adjust less and less as you get as you’re Pit gets closer and closer to even temp.
Thanks, Smokin NW!  That is exactly what I was doing.  As soon as it got to temp, I was putting my Q on.  I will now let the smoker completely heat up before doing so.  Thanks for the article!  
music-064.gif

What about meat placement in relation to the gaps in between the tuner plates. Is there any advise as far as how he should place the meat or does it seam to effect anything? ( curios about air flow)

Have you guys ever thought about installing hinges between the tuner plates? That way a lever could be installed and the tune plates worked similar to an accordion to make the adjustments?  Its just something I wondered about and curios if anyone ever tried doing that?

If you have the plates where you want them and temps are close side to side, its up to you

where to put the meat.

Depending on what I am smoking and how much, I use right in the middle.

When I do brisket and ribs, brisket in the middle and ribs to the side.

Adjusting the tuning plates is a single plate at a time in small movements, many times to get close

temps on both sides and the middle. 

I have also seen set ups where there is one plate mounted stationary, with holes ( about 1 inch dia) then another plate it mounted on top of it and allowed to slide left to right, either opening or closing the holes. Usually the number and spacing of the holes increases as you get farther away from the firebox. The handle to the top plate is a 1/2 round rod extended though the end of the chamber so as you can adjust it from outside the smoker.

I have no ideal of how well it works, but you would think it would.........and usually its only 2/3rds of the chamber, the last 1/3 is left open.

and dont give me too much credit for some of the ideals I throw out there, its hard for me to walk past a smoker with out looking over how its built and designed,

I have also seen set ups where there is one plate mounted stationary, with holes ( about 1 inch dia) then another plate it mounted on top of it and allowed to slide left to right, either opening or closing the holes. Usually the number and spacing of the holes increases as you get farther away from the firebox. The handle to the top plate is a 1/2 round rod extended though the end of the chamber so as you can adjust it from outside the smoker.
Now that sounds interesting, would be nice to adjust without opening the lid.
I have no ideal of how well it works, but you would think it would.........and usually its only 2/3rds of the chamber, the last 1/3 is left open.

and dont give me too much credit for some of the ideals I throw out there, its hard for me to walk past a smoker with out looking over how its built and designed,
That does sound interesting....and you may have just solved my problem Ribwizzard.  My tuning plates go all the way across the chamber.  I still have big gaps, but I will try to remove the end plate ans see how that fares.  Thanks, guys!!!   
yahoo.gif

I read some where that someone said it should be about 2/3 the length of the chamber. Not sure if true or not.

Last edited:
There is a place by me called the Metal Supermarket.  You can order metal online and they cut to your specs.  I priced out a piece of 24guage cold rolled sheet 30"L x 16W and it was $18.  Add another piece for the angle on the firebox and you could get away with spending less than $25. Of course you still have to drill the holes but it's pretty cheap.

That's a good price. I just need the flat piece, my angle is attached with the firebox fasteners.

I'll have to call around up here to see if I can get that good of price.

I already have hole saws.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky