Brinkmann Trailmaster Limted Edition - mods

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

New latches on my tmle and a baffle plate for distribution of heat and smoke. Painting my firebox and then gonna seal that bad boy up. Should be a good spring/summer!
08bb0ad4c97cf7480c1ed925b948b28a.jpg

Ok, I love the tuning plate!! Looks like a lot of thought has gone into the design and you and SWASS both have the same thing, so where do you get em????? I like the latches, but I guess I got lucky and my doors all fit really well. Sure, it leaks a little, especially when I was closing the stack to help control temps, but after reading about creosote, I won't be doing that anymore.

08bb0ad4c97cf7480c1ed925b948b28a.jpg

Ok, I love the tuning plate!! Looks like a lot of thought has gone into the design and you and SWASS both have the same thing, so where do you get em????? I like the latches, but I guess I got lucky and my doors all fit really well. Sure, it leaks a little, especially when I was closing the stack to help control temps, but after reading about creosote, I won't be doing that anymore.

Got the baffle plate from bbqsmokermods.com. I have been getting very even temps across the cooker with this plate. Within 10 degrees!

Hey guys I picked up this Brinkmann Trailmaster about 2-3 weeks ago not really needing just needed a project to do I guess. Anyway things that I plan on changing out are first welding the smoke stack on the out side to stop the leaks, next expanded metal firebox basket, sanding and prime and repaint the entire smoker color undecided. Ordered a couple 3" thermometers for the bottom of the lid and I picked up a couple of doors clamps at harbor freight. Add some LavaLock felt gasket sealer around the lid and the firebox. I just finished up making expanded metal grill grates for the main cooking area and I also made and second sliding shelf which I'm surprised no one has done it yet. Here are a couple pictures of the main grill grates and the second shelf slide out. Not in a real big rush work on it here and there have my other smokers that I use when I smoke on the weekends. Any questions feel free to ask. Happy Smokin'
Here are the pictures I promised

Hey guys I picked up this Brinkmann Trailmaster about 2-3 weeks ago not really needing just needed a project to do I guess. Anyway things that I plan on changing out are first welding the smoke stack on the out side to stop the leaks, next expanded metal firebox basket, sanding and prime and repaint the entire smoker color undecided. Ordered a couple 3" thermometers for the bottom of the lid and I picked up a couple of doors clamps at harbor freight. Add some LavaLock felt gasket sealer around the lid and the firebox. I just finished up making expanded metal grill grates for the main cooking area and I also made and second sliding shelf which I'm surprised no one has done it yet. Here are a couple pictures of the main grill grates and the second shelf slide out. Not in a real big rush work on it here and there have my other smokers that I use when I smoke on the weekends. Any questions feel free to ask. Happy Smokin'
Here are the pictures I promised

Looks great! I would recommend welding the two pieces of the firebox together as well as the ash tray rails to the firebox. If I knew how to weld, I would have done that. The high temp sealant is junk on the firebox.

Surprising the firebox to the main chamber didn't leak when I did a test burn to see where the leaks were at, I did notice the ash chamber is on the chessey side lol I was going to use some 10 gauge and make a new ash box and weld it up also make it a little deeper too. Thanks for your input, nice upgrade on your smoker dam that firebox is at least 24x24 it will hold some wood! My main offset is a Horizon Backyard Classic 20 that dam thing is built like a tank :yahoo:
View media item 422986
Thanks again

First smoke of the year for me. Last year I struggled with keeping my temps down. The other day I got a piece of 10 ga & bent it at a 45° angel. I also got 2 more pieces so I could space them and hopefully level out my heat. So far my temp difference is less than 10°.
I hope a full firebox of charcoal & wood will sustain it for the duration.
That was my problem last year, once I added a chimney of hot coals, my temps skyrocketed.

Don't add a full chimney. I use a minion basket with coal and large chunks. You need to just add a few coals and have your dampers already closed down a bit. You want to just get it to start and slowly spread. If you get too much of your fuel to light too fast you won't be able to control the heat. More fuel burning the more heat. Low and slow isn't just for the meat. [emoji]128516[/emoji][emoji]128516[/emoji]

Last edited:
my bbqsmokermods baffle kit is in.   I noticed they sell a nice stack extension to bring the stack down to the grates but it says do not use this if you have a baffle kit.      How come?

Aren't some of you running a stack extension with a baffle kit?   If so is there really any advantage after the baffle kit to run this extension?

Gerard, I'm a pipe welder, and I built a three piece 90° to put into my stack hole and get the stack extended to the grate. The plates do a great job dispersing the smoke throughout the barrel, and they balance heat better, but if your smoke gets high in the barrel and slips out of the stack, your food doesn't get as much smoke flavor. Raised here in Texas, where mesquite is king, I like a lot of smoke flavor. To me, it's a personal preference thing. But I'm still a newbie, got my BTLE for Christmas.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky