Brinkmann Trailmaster Limted Edition - mods

Discussion in 'Wood Smokers' started by drphx81, Jul 5, 2013.

1. drphx81

drphx81 Fire Starter

I had this last tuning plate made closest to the chimney. I'm not sure if I need it or not. Common sense told me that it would be too big of a gap without it. Can Any pit masters out there advise on if I need this piece seen here? ( the small one on e far left closest to chimney?)

2. drphx81

drphx81 Fire Starter

There is a cooking grate that came with it that goes on top but once again I removed it so I could make my charcoal basket 3 inches taller

3. No not in the fire box, you sais tuning plates soi I thought you were talking about the cooking chamber, My bad

4. drphx81

drphx81 Fire Starter

So you think I should put a brick near the chimney as it's the coolest place in the chamber??

5. You asked about fire bricks on your tuning plates I just told you what I do, the way I have mine rigged the chimney side gets hotter and I slide the bricks for fine adjustments. If you have fire bricks try them on the plates, but sometimes I over think things and really mess things up and have to start all over again. I first tried  to make a tunning plate out of a cookie sheet really tore want hair I had left out then I bought a Horizon Plate and things started going right. Sometimes ya just gotta play

6. drphx81

drphx81 Fire Starter

Thanks for the info. Can you check out my pics I posted above? I had a baffle and tuning plates made custom. Based on looking at the pics you think maybe I should put 2-3 bricks on top of my plates?? Thanks again

7. If your having temp problems and they are hand try it.

8. smokin nw

smokin nw Smoke Blower

drPHX81, you have done some nice mods on yours.

The stainless expanded metal cooking grate looks good, was it pricey ?

I will try the felt gasket on mine, whenever the high temp seal does not work anymore.

Looking forward to seeing and hearing how it all works for you.

9. drphx81

drphx81 Fire Starter

3/4 inch expanded metal is super and I mean super cheap. Depending on your local weld shop or metal shop. I paid 17 bucks for a non stainless version cut to my specs and the stainless version was very pricey but 100% not needed. Go with regular it's real cheap and looks great.

10. Do the replacement expanded metal grates stay pretty rigid without a frame on them or do they sag a little? Would they hold a good sized brisket or small turkey?

11. Did you have to do any modifying to the legs on the opposite side of the wheels to fine tune leveling the grill or the 10" wheel replacements where good to go off the bat? Where did you get those from? Home Depot?

12. drphx81

drphx81 Fire Starter

Yes Home Depot. Good off the bat I posted a pic as you can see it's perfectly level. You will have to use the spacers and some of the hardware that comes with each tire. I paid around 19 bucks a tire but great mod and it's a pleasure to wheel the thing around now.

13. drphx81

drphx81 Fire Starter

14. drphx81

drphx81 Fire Starter

I'd say all my mods were worth it. This came out picture perfect and tastes so good makes you shake your head that's how good it was

15. drphx81

drphx81 Fire Starter

You can see all my cuts. Lean, moist, and the black gold burnt ends so gooooood

16. smokin nw

smokin nw Smoke Blower

Yummy, nice looking smoke ring.

Don't you love it when it all works like that [​IMG]

17. drphx81

drphx81 Fire Starter

The TLC I gave that brisket for 13 hours sure is nice when it works out lol

18. comosmoker

comosmoker Smoke Blower

It looks great drPHX81!!!  I am glad the mods are working for you!  Everyone keep the posts coming!!!  [​IMG]

19. drphx81

drphx81 Fire Starter

Thanks CoMo I must say so myself 👍

20. smokin nw

smokin nw Smoke Blower

I am getting great Q, but still dialing in my tuning plates.

Very little movement makes a big difference.

Anyone else still playing with their plates ?