Brinkmann Trailmaster Limited Edition

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I have the same smoker, the problem with the firebox is the clean out drawer underneath, i plugged the gaps with thick gauge aluminum foil.and then i let it fill up with ash, just to the point of filling the drawer , that should take care of that leak. Now where the firebox meets the smoker was a little tricky, thats where im assuming your other leak is, i used JB weld to seal that small gap on the outside. or if you have a welder that would be better. and installed 2 more thermometers , it didnt take me very long and was inexpensive but made a huge difference and have a easier time regulating the heat. I hope this helps.

I have the Brinkman limited vertical smoker. I have only one problem. I can't get the temp more than 225-250 degrees. Any ideas on how to get it up to about 325 degrees? Reason I'm asking is for my chicken to cook without the skin getting rubbery. I brine my chicken so don't tell me to do that. 

I have the Brinkman limited vertical smoker. I have only one problem. I can't get the temp more than 225-250 degrees. Any ideas on how to get it up to about 325 degrees? Reason I'm asking is for my chicken to cook without the skin getting rubbery. I brine my chicken so don't tell me to do that. 
Use more fuel. I'd recommend mesquite wood chunk about the size of baseballs/softballs. That'll get you the therms you need and the great smoke flavor. Here's the size I get (compared to a Kingsford briquet).

Last edited:
Thanks for the info, but I used big chunks of apple mixed with charcoal and still didn't get the temp up. Maybe I should use just wood?

Try using 12" long split logs I can only use 2 or 3 at a time without charcoal to stay below 275. I imagine if I put 4 or 5 splits in at a time it would hit 350-375 no problem. Also opening you ash drawer partially will get you LOTS more heat.

Hi dlc032704, Thinking of getting this smoker -Hoping you can help me answer a couple questions: are the grates 17 inches? and what is the difference between the limited edition vs the regular brinkmann trailmaster vertical offset smoker?

Actually the racks are 16 1/2 inches round. I really don't know about the offset smoker. My problem with the vertical is 1) the charcoal bowl is hard to put in after you start them up because you can not start them inside because of the space where it goes is limited. 2) the rack the holds the water dish is almost on top of the coals when you do put the bowl in. 3) you have 3 cooking rack but the first on is only 3 inches above the water holder the next one is 5 inches above that and the third one is 10 inches above that one but only 3 inches of space between that rack and the top. Where the smoke vent is is a hangar for sausage or smoking franks. If I didn't get this smoker as a birthday present from my Daughter I would have bought a much better brand smoker. To me it's more like a beginners model. Hope this helps you out.   

Actually the racks are 16 1/2 inches round. I really don't know about the offset smoker. My problem with the vertical is 1) the charcoal bowl is hard to put in after you start them up because you can not start them inside because of the space where it goes is limited. 2) the rack the holds the water dish is almost on top of the coals when you do put the bowl in. 3) you have 3 cooking rack but the first on is only 3 inches above the water holder the next one is 5 inches above that and the third one is 10 inches above that one but only 3 inches of space between that rack and the top. Where the smoke vent is is a hangar for sausage or smoking franks. If I didn't get this smoker as a birthday present from my Daughter I would have bought a much better brand smoker. To me it's more like a beginners model. Hope this helps you out.   

ah thank you, i had confused the models. i thought your model was the vertical offset. I must admit though, the trailmaster limited looks pretty nice.

happy smoking!

She ran great, very easy to control the temps and love how solid the unit is!

Built a Charcoal Box, RTV Gasket around the gaps as well as Nomex Gasket seal around the lid- the Beast did not leak at all!! I did notice a huge variance in temp on both sides of the grill though, definitely investing in a tuning plate next! Can't wait to fire her up again!

Hey all!! Haven't posted on this thread in a while, but I check back in to see what people are saying and talking about.  Just a couple comments:  Definitely seal the ash pan and the gap between the fire box and chamber.  That will help with the heat.  I put tuning plates in mine at first, but ended up taking them out and bringing the exhaust down to grate level.  I, too, was having trouble with getting the smoker hot enough.  Used charcoal and chunks combined, but still not hot enough.  I turned it into a stick burner and now I do not have a problem keeping it at the desired temperature.  If anything, it gets a little too hot!!  The only problem I have now is that I didn't buy a cover for it and it has been in the elements for the past 2 years.  Showing a lot of rust on fire box and vent is rusted closed about 3/4, so I control the heat with the ash box.  She's been a great smoker and I can still get some great BBQ from her.  But, I think it is time to start looking for another one this winter.  It's been great reading everyone's posts and seeing the Q-View!!  Keep it up and smoke on BTLE owners!!  I'll be back!!!  

Problem with using more and more wood instead of coal, is that you get more smoke.  If the wood is not very very dry you can oversmoke the meat.  I also cant normally get over 300-350 deg except only in the first few hours when all the wood and coal ignites over the 1st few hours.   Then for some reason I just cant keep the temps up.  Ill add charcoals already lit in my charcoal chimney and it still wont reach over 300.  

Uh - WHY would you even want to use coal to smoke food? Are you talking about charcoal briquettes (such as Kingsford) and not actual coal? Also, your normal smoking temps are 250 degrees or lower, occasionally you might want to go to 325, but not that often. 300 degrees and above is more for grilling. You can also control the temperatures by using the various ventilation  dampers to allow more or less air  access to the  combustion of the wood / charcoal / pellets, etc. What exactly are you trying to accomplish?

Pete

By coal I mean lump or brickettes.  Yeah, not coal used for home heating!  ahahah.   I actually wouldnt need to get above 300deg F for most stuff, but I have issues maintaining 260-275 or 280+.  After about 4-6 hrs or it running, its hard to keep about 200-220deg.  I have the stack damper wide open, and the fire box damper wide open...and have tried opening up the ash pan from 1/4" up till about 2-3" to allow more combustion air and that helps a tad.  I have had to use my air compressor at like 5psi and easily blow some air into the firebox via the damper on that and that gets the temp up for a little while.  Overall, I have been able to make amazing BBQ with it, I just wrap my meats in foil when the time comes, and then just move them to my gas Weber grill and set that at 250-275 deg as needed to get my brisket or pork butts up to a nice 195-200 deg internatl temperature.  I coudl never do that on the BTMLE if I can barely keep the temps at 200 degF.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky