Brinkmann Trailmaster Limited Edition

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I need a little help.  Does anyone know what I can use, or where I can buy something to control the heat in my smoker better.  I tried making a makeshift tuning plate out of foil but that prevented a lot of heat from even getting into the chamber.  I am wanting to cook a whole pig but the SFB area is way hotter than the chimney side.  I know this is a known problem, I just need a fix to this, so that I can get fairly even HIGH heats and smoke throughout.  Thank you.

Found this thread and is very helpful because i will be getting my tmle this week from the thumb of Michigan .been smoking my whole life and like the challenge of traditional smoking. Most of my techniques are red neckish. Figure as u go. Wanted to get a stick smoker that was decent but made u work .something that made the beer taste goood. Actually picked this unit before reading this blog. Is there any additional advice that anyone can give me beyond what has been written. Everyone always has a tweek or two. Appreciate any responses

Surely half the fun.sucks waiting for better temperatures here in Michigan. Whopping 12 degrees here with a 10 mph wind

There are a lot of mods that can be done on that smoker to make it perform better. Just by searching this site you should be able to find a lot of info. Also kickassbbqsouth.com they sell a baffle which is supposed to help even out temps. Got one myself but too cold outside to try yet.

Good luck.

Appreciate the advice.son in law a steel worker with great skills. He will also enjoy the experimentations invoved to get it efficient. Allready pissed that i didnt let him build me one hes to busy and i want it now. Has anyone out there experimented with adding anither stack on the firebox side to make it a reverse flow?

Does anyone know anything about the man law thermometers. Ordered 2 for this tmle. Will also have maverick 732.

so this thread has been going on for a while now and it's very helpful, but is it possible for someone to list all the mods and give specifics in 1 post?

This way anyone can use that post as a template.

JWG299 the mods i have done are:

charcoal basket 12x12x6 inches,

gasket and toggle clamp set from bbqgaskets.com

also the fiberglass rope gasket between the firebox halves from the same website,

a 90 degree aluminum elbow bought at home depot.

some say to upgrade the thermometers but i have a maverick and just use that

for a baffle and tuning plates. my baffle is 14.5x8 in and the rest of my tuning plates are 14.5x6 inches all of 1/4 in steel.

this should get you started in the right direction I'm sure others will chime in

Reactions: jwg299
I made a charcoal basket, sealed the firebox halves with high temp silicone, and made tuning plates and a baffle out of 1/8 in plate. All pictured earlier in this thread.

I didn't see a need for clamps and gaskets as my doors let barley a wisp of smoke out.

The thermometer is accurate for it's placement. I use a Maverick as well.

Sounds like you have a very good smoker,  only thing left it the TBS

Gary

I got mine last year and have done some pretty good ribs and a brisket. I've done all the mods but every time I add more wood I get the dreaded white smoke. I know it needs more oxygen so I open the firebox door to get the fire up and burn down some and then I'll get that TBS for about 15 to 20 mins and then its time to add more wood and then it starts all over again. I add wood every 45 to 1 hr at a time. I've messed with different types of wood and the process is still the same. Not quite sure what I need to do differently. Any ideas?

You'll get the white smoke but it's never been an issue that I can tell. It happens but won't last long. My old roommate in KC was a pit master at one of the local joints and you would get the smoke every time they added wood also. I use oak and never had a taste issue.

Have you checked out the "Horizon Offset Barrel Smokers"? They are constructed out of 1/4" steel, some models have a sliding convection plate (controls heat better). The model that I'm buying (around late April) is the 16" model with the sliding convection plate, weighs about 340 lbs. and costs around $1200 (in Canada).

try putting your wood on top pf the firebox to warm it up, i do that and one the wood has slight char marks i know its ready, catches fire immediately and you may or may not have any white smoke

The more you smoke the easier it gets  I will throw my splits on top of the fire box for a while  Just remember they get HOT  !!!

Gary

Tks guys I'll try warming them up on top first and I'll try not to freak out at the first sight of white smoke. I also use a UDS with charcoal and a few pieces of wood and get the TBS with it, I'm just trying to master an offset with all wood too.

JWG299 the mods i have done are:

charcoal basket 12x12x6 inches,

gasket and toggle clamp set from bbqgaskets.com

also the fiberglass rope gasket between the firebox halves from the same website,

a 90 degree aluminum elbow bought at home depot.

some say to upgrade the thermometers but i have a maverick and just use that

for a baffle and tuning plates. my baffle is 14.5x8 in and the rest of my tuning plates are 14.5x6 inches all of 1/4 in steel.

this should get you started in the right direction I'm sure others will chime in
I thank you for listing that. It makes it easier for those who are new to the TLE to determine what they need to do.

I've had mine for over a year and I did a baffle plate, raised my charcoal grate in the firebox, use a flex tube extension in my chimney down to cooking grate level, added 2 thermos at opposite ends so I can gauge temps from end to end, and placed small paver bricks about the size of red bricks, wrapped in foil in the bottom of my smoker. I did this because I live in Ohio and I cook all year round. This helps to stablize temps in the cooker when it's cold and allows me to burn less wood and charcoal when it's warm. When the bricks heat up they hold their temp for a long time. I wrap them in foil so when I need to drain my smoker I can easily take the foil off of them and put new foil on as oppose to having to clean the bricks.

Hey guys, I'm real new & had a general question, but since I'm going to buy a BTLE, this is as good of place as any to ask it.

How do I do a "cure" or seasoning of the smoker? How hot? Just charcoal? Do I need to put a fire in the main cooking area too?

I plan on having all the materials ready to do the mods as I assemble it, then cure it the next day (so the silicon is fully cured) then maybe it's madien smoke that afternoon or the next day.

Thanks.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky