Brined county style ribs and chicken thighs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

remsr

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jun 8, 2014
Woodbury Minnesota St Paul)
What an experience, nothing went right the MES 40" 2.5 gen was running at 230 according to the temp reading on my phone and on the digital readout on the smoker, but two accurate probs placed on the middle rack read 180. So to get to 225 I set the temp at 270. Then my pellets wouldn't stay lit for some reason and I kept relighting them. As you know when you light them you need to blow out the flame wihich I did. I wanted a while and smoke nice smoke started coming out so I went inside to do something else for a few minutes, when I returned an alarm was going off and it was smoking heavily and the temp at 320. I opened the door and the whole 5x8" pellet tray was on fire. Bear, another good reason to have a glass door. Well I pulled the tray and put out the fire refilled the tray and started over after cooling the smoker down. Then every time I checked the ribs they were at 145 after 6 hours and the chicken at 148 after 3 hours both were obviously done so I piled them even though the ribs should have been st 185 and the chicken should hsve been at 165. I have no idea of what went wrong but some how the ribs and chicken ceme out fine.

Experience.    Thats the key here.

You knew what to do when things when wrong and didnt rely on the electronics to do the cooking.  ( you knew they where done )

Great job.  

Way to adapt and overcome! I'll second cfarmer on this one. The gizmos and gadgets are cool but at the if the day it comes down to the experience of the cook. Good recovery.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky