• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

BRINE/THAW

wingnut

Smoke Blower
Joined Jul 6, 2010
[h2]I have a very limited space to work with,and a refer that is too small to thaw meat in sooooooo, I would like to know IF, I can thaw a 14lb. Turkey while it is in a saltwater brine??  (Adding ice when needed to keep the temp in the "SAFE ZONE".)[/h2]

Dutch

Smoking Guru
Staff member
Administrator
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
OTBS Admin
Group Lead
Joined Jul 7, 2005
wingnut- Place your ice in a zip top bag or two and place the bags in the brine. When the ice melts it will melt in the bag and not dilute the brine. Remove the bags, dump out the water, add more ice to the bags and place the bags back in the brine as needed.

pineywoods

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
Administrator
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
OTBS Admin
Group Lead
Joined Mar 22, 2008
The other thing you could do is get a huge Ziplock bag that will hold the bird and the brine seal it up and put it into an ice chest

mballi3011

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Mar 12, 2009

I'm with both of theses guys. I like the brining in a really large ziplock and they make them too. Now if you don't have the room then you could definalty do what dutch says too. You don't want to delute the brine either.

coffee_junkie

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Feb 17, 2009
Just thaw and inject, no need for brine. I have done both (brine and inject) and both ways turn out some really juicy birds.

wingnut

Smoke Blower
Joined Jul 6, 2010
Just thaw and inject, no need for brine. I have done both (brine and inject) and both ways turn out some really juicy birds.
Thanks for the ideas, I've done the injection thing, bird looked like it had been attached by bees, but it did work.  Just want to try the brine this time.

Larry

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.