BRINE/THAW

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

wingnut

Smoke Blower
Original poster
[h2]I have a very limited space to work with,and a refer that is too small to thaw meat in sooooooo, I would like to know IF, I can thaw a 14lb. Turkey while it is in a saltwater brine??  (Adding ice when needed to keep the temp in the "SAFE ZONE".)[/h2]

wingnut- Place your ice in a zip top bag or two and place the bags in the brine. When the ice melts it will melt in the bag and not dilute the brine. Remove the bags, dump out the water, add more ice to the bags and place the bags back in the brine as needed.

The other thing you could do is get a huge Ziplock bag that will hold the bird and the brine seal it up and put it into an ice chest

icon_cool.gif

I'm with both of theses guys. I like the brining in a really large ziplock and they make them too. Now if you don't have the room then you could definalty do what dutch says too. You don't want to delute the brine either.

Just thaw and inject, no need for brine. I have done both (brine and inject) and both ways turn out some really juicy birds.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky