Breakfast Sausage Recipes...Can you share your fave recipe so i can do a taste-off?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

uncle eddie

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
May 14, 2016
Central Missouri
I am hoping/planning to make 5 different breakfast sausages (pork only) this weekend for a taste-off. I currently have 2 recipes and I am hoping to get 3 more...if you are willing to share. The two recipes I have include:
  • my best approximation of Jimmy Dean Hot (which is pretty good) and
  • I just bought one off of TopSecretRecipe.com that claims to be Jimmy Dean Hot (79 cents for a recipe). It did have 14, 5 star reviews...but I am still a bit skeptical.
FWIW - I have tried TSM's breakfast sausage seasonings mix and it was weak on flavor at their recommended dosages. So I did 125% of recommended to get a good flavor profile...which made the sausage a bit too salty.

The goal is to get something close to Jimmy Dean Hot.
Secondary goals are to get close to Jimmy Dean Regular or Sage.

If you want to keep your recipe secret, just message me the recipe (if you are willing), and I will make sure it goes no further.

Thanks

uncle eddie

I used to make the fresh pork breakfast sausage according to the Rytec Kutas recipe, 100% straight pork butt. About ten years ago I tried a pack of the #270 Maple Sausage blend from PS Seasonings, never looked back, love the stuff! RAY

Reactions: uncle eddie
IMO a good Breakfast sausage yet so simple is one of the hardest recipes to create. Trying to make a great one is very difficult. IMO Thats why most people buy a pre mix. AC legg's #29 or #109 is a very good one. I've been trying for years to come up with a great one trying hundreds of recipe variations and still havent hit the nail on the head..... its frustrating.

Boykjo

Last edited:
Here's Rytec's recipe:

10 lbs boneless pork butt
4 TB salt
1 TB ground white pepper
2 TB rubbed sage
1 tsp ginger
1 TB nutmeg
1 TB thyme
1 TB ground hot red pepper (optional)
2 cups ice water

Here is Pop's

Reactions: chopsaw
This is a good box seasoning, it’s a little lite so I mix it a little heavy it’s very forgiving but very good sage flavor. https://himtnjerky.com/original-mountain-man-breakfast-sausage-seasoning/

Here is a very flavorful b-fast sausage recipe that we like, the fresh sage is key in this recipe as well as mixing and letting rest a day before cooking feel free to adjust the spices to your liking.

Per 2 Kg ground pork:

2% salt

.75% sugar

4g ground mace

5g granulated garlic

5g onion powder

3g white pepper

3g fresh cracked black pepper

6g fresh sage minced

4g paprika

3g red Chile flakes.

IMO a good Breakfast sausage yet so simple is one of the hardest recipes to create.
Yup . I just bough AC Leggs #10 . Hear a lot about it . We thought it was OK .
First one I bought was TSM " Pork Sausage -Hot " It was our favorite , but they don't make it anymore that I see . I think the morning edge is the hot one now .
uncle eddie uncle eddie I know you're looking for scratch recipes , but here's one I just bought . Always see it when I'm looking around . You can see the ingredient list . It's pretty good .
1670080619952.jpeg

Pops is a killer "country sausage" and great recipe to tweak. I have tweaked it alot and found a few things plus have done a lot of deep diving on the pro formulas. A quick look of the JD label confirmed it... MSG aka Accent. HUGE impact on sausage IMO. A few other things. Pretty sure these BF blends have a nice amount of white pepper (look at Ryteks above). Some kinda magic with the combo of WP+pork. My fave BF sausage is a regional one called Bob Evans and it has a real nice acidic bite from citric acid. You also need to add some sugars to aid in browning. Pop's barely browns at all until you add some. Great point just made too SmokinEdge SmokinEdge . The stuff has to rest and marry and also agree with boykjo boykjo the seemingly simple sausage is the hardest to nail. I have posted this before but I typically sprinkle stuff on my cooked sausage to see how it interacts. Really helpful to me. That Ryteks recipe looks pretty close to what I'd be doing (plus adding some stuff above) I think he has the right top notes with that nutmeg and thyme but looks like he is adding WAAAY more than I would.

chopsaw chopsaw Just got the #10 here too but plan to play with tweaking it.

Thanks guys...I have 6 recipes now. Going to make 5 of them.
Organize the recipes on my laptop first.
Then - going to coarse grind this morning,
blend the seasonings,
let it rest for an hour (probably the time it will take me to do the different seasoning blends),
then fine grind and let rest overnight.
Taste testing planned for around lunch time tomorrow.

I will post all of the recipes used as well.

zwiller zwiller - need to buy some white pepper! Good call! Going to give that a try as well. I used it a LOT in my college years when I cooked my way through college at some fine restaurants...black pepper was more for decoration, white pepper was for flavor.

Last edited:
Reactions: zwiller
I was talking to the wife earlier and told her i was going to buy some fresh ground breakfast sausage and add some heat and stuff into smoking casings, cold smoke for 6-8 hours then test it. I love smoked breakfast sausage with hickory smoke. Watching your thread and will make some when i get the cold smoking part dialed in. Lot of great info going on here

Stuffed in a hog casing , grilled and on a bun is a great way to eat it too . I have 5 pounds of grind still in the fridge I still need to do something with .

Here are some more JD copycats.
SAGE
16 ounces ground pork
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
1/4 teaspoon rubbed sage (or more)
1/4 teaspoon fresh coarse ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme (or more)
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
1/4 teaspoon coriander
1/4 teaspoon msg (such as Accent flavor enhancer)
HOT
16 ounces ground pork
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or more)
1/4 teaspoon rubbed sage
1/4 teaspoon fresh coarse ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (or more)
1/4 teaspoon coriander
1/4 teaspoon msg (such as Accent)
MAPLE
16 ounces ground pork
3 tablespoons maple syrup
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon msg (such as Accent)
1/4 teaspoon coriander

Dave

This was a pain. Had the clean the grinder between each flavor. Glad I did this, won’t do 5 flavors at a time again.

Reactions: chopsaw
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky