Breakfast Links and Rounds

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dukeburger

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Oct 4, 2009
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
My second run at sausage, inspired by gary s and others to try out some breakfast links. First time using natural casing, I used 24-26 sheep.

Got a good deal on a 22lb whole hind pork leg for $1.29/lb and got to work de-boning and skinning it Friday morning. Cut the entire thing up into cubes and set aside 7.5lbs for my breakfast sausage.

Did some searching on these forums and came up with this recipe for the seasoning:

7.5lbs pork

4 1/2 TBS ground sage

4 1/2 tsp salt

3 tsp ground black pepper

3 tsp  ground white pepper

1 1/2 tsp ground coriander

1 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg

Ground cubed pork through coarse plate, seasoned with recipe above and mixed well by hand, then put the bowl in the freezer for 30 mins or so to firm up a bit. Removed from freezer and ground the entire mixture again through a fine plate and wrapped up the bowl and put in the fridge for stuffing the next day.

Onto the pics
sausage.gif

Skinned and de-boned. Will have to turn that rind into something tasty at a later date!

About 7.5lbs cubed up for my breaky sausage

Coarse grind

Seasoned and mixed and into the freezer for a bit

Fine grind

This pic is out of order, but this is the rest of the cubes bagged and tagged for another project to come

Fry test after the fine grind - decided to make a little breakfast out of it. Delicious!

The next day (This morning) - the first few stuffed.

For the rounds, I rolled some of the sausage meat out flat with a roller, about 1/2" thick and used a juice glass to cut them out.

Rounds to go in the freezer to firm up so they are not squashed in the vacuum sealing process

I looked up a video on youtube on how to link sausages, turned out pretty nice!

Breakfast time!

Money shot

These turned out incredible!!

The sheep casing took a little bit to get used to. A little time consuming, but well worth it!

sausage.gif

Nice Job, looks fantastic  I'll be over to get my sample and to take Lessons  
icon14.gif

Looks-Great.gif

points1.png

Gary

Man, for your first time using sheep casing & it turned out that good.

I'm really impressed!!

The links & the patties look delicious!!

POINTS!!

Al

Nice Job, looks fantastic  I'll be over to get my sample and to take Lessons  
icon14.gif

Looks-Great.gif

points1.png

Gary
Thanks gary, you're welcome to some samples anytime!!

Man, for your first time using sheep casing & it turned out that good.

I'm really impressed!!

The links & the patties look delicious!!

POINTS!!

Al
Thanks Al!!

The first 12 inches or so was a nasty mess of blowouts and lumps...I left that part out...
no-pics.png
biggrin.gif

DB That looks great,beautiful job on the boning.Must be another sausage weekend,I am doing some Fresh Italian tomorrow.

Richie

Looks great. Points in this for sure.

DB That looks great,beautiful job on the boning.Must be another sausage weekend,I am doing some Fresh Italian tomorrow.
Richie

I am doing sticks tomorrow

Question on my leftover casings; Should I keep them in the water in the fridge with salt?

I will probably use them up by next weekend, thinking of doing hot dogs next. Was hoping to do kabanosy, but these are a bit big for sticks for me.

Last edited:
If you are going to use them next weekend, just water will be fine.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky