Breakfast Dutch Baby

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mneeley490

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jun 23, 2011
Everett, WA
Hard to peg the category for this one, but since I used a CI pan for it, here it is.
Dutch babies, aka German pancakes, are something I used to make all the time for my kids when they were small. Been quite a while since, but this morning I was in the mood, and it turned out so pretty, I had to take a picture. This went into the oven, but I'm sure it could be done on a Weber or similar, too.
Topping is just powdered sugar and a squeeze of lemon juice.
20221009_110300.jpg

It looks amazing. I must be a little ignorant...is this just a type of pancake batter then? And grilled in the bottom of a dutch oven?

Yes, it's a pancake batter, and very easy.

Dutch Baby

Pre-heat oven to 400° F. Put 8"-10" cast iron frying pan inside to heat for 10 minutes.
Mix together 3 eggs, 3/4 cup of milk, 3/4 cup of AP flour, 3 T. sugar, 1/4 t. salt, and 1/2 t. vanilla.
Pull CI pan out when heated, and add 3 T. of butter. Swirl melted butter around the inside of the pan and up the sides almost to the rim. Pour in the batter and bake 18-20 minutes. Remove from oven
If your pan is well seasoned, the baby will transfer to a plate in one piece.
Sprinkle with powdered sugar and a squeeze of lemon juice, and serve.

Last edited:
New one for me also, glad I stopped by.
This sounds like a go for me. And I think it
will work in my smoker, as I do cakes and pies in it also.

Thanks for posting this and your recipe
David

We have been saying we wanted some pancakes for breakfast, and that Dutch baby looks incredible. Thanks for posting the recipe, gonna make one for sure!
Bookmark!
Al

Very nice! We have them about once a month or so, they are a fav in our house.... FYI sprinkle a little nutmeg on them.... YUM

I’ll have to try this one!! Sounds very interesting and tasty! Congrats on the ride

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky