Braunsweiger

Discussion in 'Sausage' started by nitrousinfected, Nov 16, 2009.

1. Can anyone tell me the difference between Liverwirst and Braunsweiger? Tried some Ketchmar Braunsweiger this weekend and I have to learn to make this stuff!!!!

2. got14u

got14u Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Here is what I could find for ya..I personally don't know but what I found this is the best explanation
    Braunschweiger and Liverwurst are often used synonymously. In terms of their difference, following opinions (sometimes even conflicting) are what you could find:
    • Braunschweiger is actually a more specific term for one (the most popular) type of Liverwurst, while Liverwurst is referred to as a general term for sausage with pork liver in it.
    • Liverwurst is a spreadable sausage. Braunschweiger is sliceable rather than spreadable. Or the opposite.
    • Liverwurst can be smoked or plain while Braunschweiger is nearly always smoked.

3. Thanks!!!! that helps. Nice ink btw.[​IMG]

4. rivet

rivet Master of the Pit OTBS Member

I think Got1 got it for you. Braunschweiger definitely does slice more easily and - to me- is a lot tastier.

Thanks for the research! [​IMG]

5. hoser

hoser Smoking Fanatic SMF Premier Member

Yeppers! Got1 hit the nail on the head...bransweiger is easier to slice, firmer ....and in my ho...a wee bit tastier.

6. mballi3011

mballi3011 Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

What he said ^^^^

7. salmonclubber

salmonclubber Master of the Pit OTBS Member