Brand Newbie!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

DianaCooks

Original poster
Dec 14, 2020
Hi everyone! First time smoker, long time BBQ lover....

I am getting my first smoker for Christmas and I am very excited! I am trying to learn as much as I can before it arrives later this week. I would love to hear what you all think are the most important tips & tricks, do's and don't's that I should know. I've purchased a pork butt, a big ole brisket, a pork loin, two whole chickens, and a whole turkey --- I don't want to ruin them!!!!

Glad to be here and excited to learn from the veteran pit masters around here!

Thanks,
Diana

Get a meat thermometer that you can keep in the meat during your cook. What kind of smoker are you getting.

My folks picked the Cuisinart COS-330, a 30 inch electric smoker.
I have a digital meat thermometer, but not one of the ones you can keep in ... I guess that's my next purchase on amazon!

Get a meat thermometer that you can keep in the meat during your cook. What kind of smoker are you getting.

Welcome from Wisconsin.

Lots of great folks and advice to be had here. Looking forward to seeing pics f your pit and your cooks.

The COS 330 looks similar to the Materbuilt products. You may want to get a pellet tube for smoke. Also, depending on how well the controller regulates your pit, you may want to upgrade to a PID controller at some point.

JC :emoji_cat:

Reactions: DianaCooks
I should probably know this, but what is a PID controller?
Will a pellet tube work better than the "built in" chip container?

Welcome from Wisconsin.

Lots of great folks and advice to be had here. Looking forward to seeing pics f your pit and your cooks.

The COS 330 looks similar to the Materbuilt products. You may want to get a pellet tube for smoke. Also, depending on how well the controller regulates your pit, you may want to upgrade to a PID controller at some point.

JC :emoji_cat:

Welcome from Ma
I do not see any kind of vent on that unit, it will be very difficult to regulate temp and air flow.JMHO
Good Luck

Reactions: DianaCooks
I have a couple a relatively dumb questions, but I haven't seen them clearly stated in anything I've read so far.

1. In my smoker, there is a container for water and one for wood chips. Do I light the chips on fire? Or do I just allow the heating element to do the thing?
2. I've seen directions to create foil packets of wood chips, is this different or better than putting wood chips in the "dedicated" spot, or do I put these packets in the wood chip container instead of putting the chips in directly?
3. My back porch is screened. Is it ok to place the smoker inside the screened porch, or should I always drag it outside to use it? (I might have to build something ... I have no patio and I am a single lady and I don't know how heavy/unweildy this will be if I have to haul it outside and set up an extension cord every time I want delicious smoked food.)

Thank you all for the warm welcomes and advice!

I went in and read the reviews online after my folks purchased it and it said there is a hole on the back to allow venting??? Once it arrives and I get it put together/set up, I will post pics for advice!!!!!

Welcome from Ma
I do not see any kind of vent on that unit, it will be very difficult to regulate temp and air flow.JMHO
Good Luck

PID

A PID controller is an instrument used in industrial control applications to regulate temperature, flow, pressure, speed and other process variables. PID, which stands for proportional integral derivative, controllers use a control loop feedback mechanism to control process variables and are the most accurate and stable controller.

Reactions: Brokenhandle
I have a couple a relatively dumb questions, but I haven't seen them clearly stated in anything I've read so far.

1. In my smoker, there is a container for water and one for wood chips. Do I light the chips on fire? Or do I just allow the heating element to do the thing?
2. I've seen directions to create foil packets of wood chips, is this different or better than putting wood chips in the "dedicated" spot, or do I put these packets in the wood chip container instead of putting the chips in directly?
3. My back porch is screened. Is it ok to place the smoker inside the screened porch, or should I always drag it outside to use it? (I might have to build something ... I have no patio and I am a single lady and I don't know how heavy/unweildy this will be if I have to haul it outside and set up an extension cord every time I want delicious smoked food.)

Thank you all for the warm welcomes and advice!
I use my pellet smoker on my covered porch. I wouldn't hesitate to use it on a screened in porch. Only downside might be lingering smoke smell. But I love that smell so. I'd definitely keep a close eye on it though

Hi everyone! First time smoker, long time BBQ lover....

I am getting my first smoker for Christmas and I am very excited! I am trying to learn as much as I can before it arrives later this week. I would love to hear what you all think are the most important tips & tricks, do's and don't's that I should know. I've purchased a pork butt, a big ole brisket, a pork loin, two whole chickens, and a whole turkey --- I don't want to ruin them!!!!

Glad to be here and excited to learn from the veteran pit masters around here!

Thanks,
Diana

Welcome Diana!!
Your New Smoker is pretty similar to the MES units I use.
I have a Step by Step Index that could help you with just about anything you will be smoking in yours. It covers Times, Temps, and just about every question you could ask.
Just click on the Link (Below), and scroll to anything that interests you.

Just click on "Bear's Step by Steps".
All Kinds To Choose From.
Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky