Brand Newbie!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Hi and welcome from Iowa! When they are talking about thermometers you want one with at least two probes, one for temp at grate level and one for meat temps. Most smokers thermometers are inaccurate.

Ryan

Reactions: DianaCooks
I have a couple a relatively dumb questions, but I haven't seen them clearly stated in anything I've read so far.

1. In my smoker, there is a container for water and one for wood chips. Do I light the chips on fire? Or do I just allow the heating element to do the thing?
2. I've seen directions to create foil packets of wood chips, is this different or better than putting wood chips in the "dedicated" spot, or do I put these packets in the wood chip container instead of putting the chips in directly?
3. My back porch is screened. Is it ok to place the smoker inside the screened porch, or should I always drag it outside to use it? (I might have to build something ... I have no patio and I am a single lady and I don't know how heavy/unweildy this will be if I have to haul it outside and set up an extension cord every time I want delicious smoked food.)

Thank you all for the warm welcomes and advice!
1. Chips go into the pan and let the element do it’s thing.
2. You could try chips in foil but I would start with #1.
3. I run a smoker in a garden shed and at the lake inside a screened in gazebo HOWEVER with any heating device there is always a chance of fire. As previously mentioned a digital remote thermometer is a must IMHO. You want a thermometer that has alarms especially a high temperature alarm incase you have a fire or a controller malfunction whereby the element doesn’t shut off. I would strongly recommend you have a fire extinguisher handy just incase.

Likely the unit will need some modifications to improve performance but I would suggest you try it as is a few times and go from there.

Welcome from Maryland.
You have some heavy plans for your first cook would like to see you have some cooks under your belt maybe before trying a brisket or a pork butt for pulled pork. Just my $.02.

Warren

• Haha
Welcome from Jersey, read, ask and try different methods. chips. sprays. But write down temps you cook at, the temp you pull it out or wrap it, time and rubs you used. then you can always change it up. I will change one thing and see what it does. But you can always ask people here will be more than happy to help you. Happy Smokin

• Love
Oh, I am SO not brave enough to do them all at once. I will be doing one thing at a time... not sure which would be the best one to pick for my first cook - any suggestions? What is pretty forgiving?

I was going to use the Alton Brown smoked pulled pork recipe that starts with a (12 hour) brined pork butt and after 11ish hours in the smoker - ends with deliciousness....

Welcome from Maryland.
You have some heavy plans for your first cook would like to see you have some cooks under your belt maybe before trying a brisket or a pork butt for pulled pork. Just my $.02.

Warren

The gang on here seem to suggest chicken it pretty forgiving. It gives you a chance to get the feel of and how to control of your smoker. Again just my $.02.

Warren

I should probably know this, but what is a PID controller?
Will a pellet tube work better than the "built in" chip container?

A PID controller is a precision controller that should keep your pit regulated within 1 degree of set point. I have a Materbuilt Pro series that I use a PID controller on. I find it essential for smoking fish as high temp swings can cause white blobs on the fish surface.

The electric smokers use overshoot to ignite the chips for smoke. With a PID, you won't get the element hot enough to ignite the chips.

In either case, a pellet tube delivers a steady, reliable supply of smoke that you can remove at any time to refill or are done needing smoke.

I use it for cold smoking in my charcoal smoker as well. I also use a PID controller for my charcoal smoker. The controller runs a fan that blows into the firebox. This controller keeps my charcoal pit within 1 degree of set point as well.

JC :emoji_cat:

I did my first cook!
Small pork loin (about 2-3 lbs)
Struggled with getting the heat to stay in a decent even window, but after 9 hours it fell apart into smoked deliciousness.
Attached photos:
Front and back of smoker
Start and end result of the meat.
Brined for 12 hrs. Used mustard to stick on a rub.
I smoked approx 210-225 for about 9 hours with apple chips until it hit 170 and I foiled it.
There's a flavor in the mix I don't love. Probably the molasses in the brine or one of the spices in the rub.
I didn't have a smoke ring, so I am not sure if I dod something wrong...

Attachments

• 20201220_124257.jpg
    20201220_124257.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 7
  • 20201220_124304.jpg
    20201220_124304.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 10
  • 20201220_124244.jpg
    20201220_124244.jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 10
  • 20201220_225754.jpg
    20201220_225754.jpg
    198 KB · Views: 9
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky