Braised Short Ribs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jeremy5431

Fire Starter
Original poster
Oct 18, 2014
so the smoker is still covered with 15 inches of snow, so I had to go back to my favorite non-smoking way of making short ribs.

I also need to send a shout out to St Paul Meat shop. If your in MN you need to go to this place. They are the only whole animal butcher in MN. There get their animals from local farms within 1.5 hours of the Twin Cities.

Their product is top notch quality, and you will pay more, but I think it’s worth it.

1A3D898A-FE07-4197-B72E-CB6E9CA14F57.jpeg
D9BB25BF-1990-4239-A36C-F1E579F6EF4A.jpeg
278FFD01-3772-4B49-A73E-9819CC2CFF0A.jpeg
F4B89319-5894-46C1-80DA-425FC3763984.jpeg
E709B182-7C36-49A7-A556-E5526691EEF3.jpeg

Everyone is in the hot tub for 3 hours! More to come!

Looks good so far. I'll be back

Chris

UPDATE: they were the best short ribs I have made and I have been making them this way for over 7 years. I have always had an issue with getting the jus thick. This time I reduced it down before the final braise, then I added a tablespoon of Demi glacé ( I cheated this time and bought it from Williams Sonoma, normally I make it from scratch). That added to the depth of the jus too.

Finished it off with caramelized shallots and horseradish mashed potatos.

9904420B-E2FB-43E8-AA69-C93DBC188AC5.jpeg
71EE46F4-2F8A-4302-B66B-13C6736D284E.jpeg

I think next time I might try a a crispy shallot loaf for a bit of crunch. Thoughts?

UPDATE: they were the best short ribs I have made and I have been making them this way for over 7 years. I have always had an issue with getting the jus thick. This time I reduced it down before the final braise, then I added a tablespoon of Demi glacé ( I cheated this time and bought it from Williams Sonoma, normally I make it from scratch). That added to the depth of the jus too.

Finished it off with caramelized shallots and horseradish mashed potatos.

View attachment 390631 View attachment 390632
:emoji_open_mouth:

Nice job. I’m hungry again.

Thank you! I’ve never been on the homepage so it’s a great honor!

Oh Yeah!!
That final picture of the Plate made it all worth coming back for a Peek!!
Nice Job Jeremy!!

Bear

Before I found this recipe, I wasn’t too fond of short ribs. They always included tomato paste, which I feel adds sweetness. Adding the Demi at the end thickens the jus and adds depth.
I’ve since tweeted the recipe to make it my own, but I always look at the original to get my mouth watering!

Hi for everyone!
My friends recently advised me best meat thermometers. I cooked about the same food. Can you tell me whether it is important to measure the temperature of the meat when roasting? Or I can do without it.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky