boykjo's bacon with pink salt test (Final pics)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Thanks Pops!

My question about salt is about using Cure #1 in a brine that is otherwise without salt or low on salt.

My thinking is that cure needs salt to create the osmotic process to penetrate the meat.

With cure #1 we are dealing with over 90% salt, but with such small amounts of cure #1 are we dealing with enough salt to produce the osmotic process without additional salt?

Again, folks, this is a question, not an answer!

Good luck and good smoking.
Venture, morning... I'm on my first cup of coffee reading this... Your question has implications that make sense.. Without getting my head hurting from thinking too hard... I do believe equilibrium

will occur in the brining solution salt or no salt... me thinks salt is not the carrier.... physics is the carrier... (unless there is some sort of molecular sieve that is interferring with the whole process)...

We need an expert in here....

Dave

Information I can find a standard brine uses10oz, 1cup Table Salt or what seems to be a more common  7.5oz, 1cup Morton Kosher Salt ( Diamond Crystal Kosher is 5oz per cup) per Gallon Water, with the minimum amount of salt for effective Osmotic pressure being approximately 3.5oz, scant 1/2cup Morton Kosher Salt per Gallon Water.  That being said, someone who has Jeff's Rub Recipe will have to chime in on the amount of Salt in 4cups to see if there is at least 3oz of Salt to combine with the 1/2 oz Joe added from the Cure #1...

There seems to be some info that Time is a factor where as the Salinity goes down increasing Brine time will have the effect of getting the cure in...But...If the Salt concentration of the Brine is below that of the Natural level in the meat Nothing will happen...JJ

Last edited:
Reactions: daveomak
popcorn.gif
 Sounds good, I'm curious about the flavor transfer..Nice trimming..

The amount of salt in jeffs rub and the cure # 1 added should be sufficient to make the osmosis occur......

Joe

Tic Tock...... Going to pull it thursday after 17 days...( gotta work the weekends) and cold smoke with hickory on friday.....

Joe

This is the first I saw this Thread, Joe, but that is a very nice looking belly----nice & meaty!!

popcorn.gif

I'm in,

Bear

Great looking belly Joe. Did you make anything with the skin? You cut it of so perfectly it looks like it would be good for something. Like a lampshade or something. Or is bacon skin inedible?

just rolled it up and stuck it in the fridge for later... will try some fried pork skins.............
icon14.gif

Heres the bacon out of the fridge.... It looks good. Looks like the rub had thickend up a bit, That didnt happen with the TQ but this was a lot longer cure time.. The bacon has stiffened up more using cure #1... Well into the smoker for a 18 hr  cold smoke

3f0a206b_HPIM2084.jpg

32654e53_HPIM2085.jpg

b05adfbd_HPIM2086.jpg

Joe

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky