Bourbon Barrel Ribs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Steve Andrews

Original poster
Nov 26, 2018
Nova Scotia
Primed with Habanero Mustard & rubbed down with Plow Boys then smoked over retired bourbon barrel chunks for 4 hours @ 250, probably my best to date.

DSC00632-2.jpg

Looks good. Have you ever experimented to see if you could actually taste the difference of the Bourbon in the Oak vs regular Oak chunks? I am curious to how strong or subtle the flavor is. Been trying to decide if it's worth buying Bourbon Barrel Pellets to smoke with...JJ

Reactions: Steve Andrews
Looks good. Have you ever experimented to see if you could actually taste the difference of the Bourbon in the Oak vs regular Oak chunks? I am curious to how strong or subtle the flavor is. Been trying to decide if it's worth buying Bourbon Barrel Pellets to smoke with...JJ

They were excellent but I can honestly say that I couldn't taste the Bourbon, might be more of a marketing play. Just my 2 cents.

They were excellent but I can honestly say that I couldn't taste the Bourbon, might be more of a marketing play. Just my 2 cents.

I think you are correct. Great way to make money from that which legally can only be used once and typically thrown away or burned for fuel...JJ

Someone gave me a bag of Jack Daniels barrel chips. I used them when making steaks. Flavor was good, but most likely from the oak, and not the JD. I’ve done more with straight oak chunks, and the flavor was the same. I don’t have a sophisticated palet though.

Someone gave me a bag of Jack Daniels barrel chips. I used them when making steaks. Flavor was good, but most likely from the oak, and not the JD. I’ve done more with straight oak chunks, and the flavor was the same. I don’t have a sophisticated palet though.

I tried those as well actually, good but I agree with the above.

I have cooked with old bourbon barrel chunks. As a super taster, you will be able to taste the difference Chef jj....It is subtle. But you could do the same by one simple basting with bourbon IMO...

I have cooked with old bourbon barrel chunks. As a super taster, you will be able to taste the difference Chef jj....It is subtle. But you could do the same by one simple basting with bourbon IMO...

Thanks for the info. I think I'll just put plain Oak in the smoker and the Maker's Mark in my Glass...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky