Boudin Time!!! Step by step...and pics.- recipe added

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I went back to my posts and Edited to...Add Cure #1 based on the weight of the Meat and Rice...JJ

Note: this recipe will be on the mild side as far as boudin goes. I suggest making it as is, then adjust to your tastes next go around. Warning-it will be spicy right after you make it. Let it mellow and the rice will absorb the seasoning. sample it for seasoning after the gelatin has set and the boudin is cold. Do Not Salt the rice when you cook it!

Here's my recipe for Boudin:
14# bone in boston butt pork (2 butts about 18 pounds total with fat caps removed and saved for sausage)
1.5# fresh pork liver pureed
4 super large vidalia or Walla walla sweet onions 1/2" chop
1 large green bell pepper 1/2" chop
12 cups finely sliced green onion divided 4 & 8 cups
0.5 TBSPS garlic powder and onion powder
1~5 pound raw pork skins (more you add the smother texture, and a richer flavor the boudin will have.)
OR 3~4 trotters (pork feet- be careful of all the small bones)
8 cups medium grain raw rice + 12 cups water to cook
1.25 gallons water for stock
casing to stuff boudin

Seasoning:
150g non-iodized salt
25g Dark red cayenne powder- NOT flakes.
25g black pepper-medium grind
5g white pepper-fine grind
15g MSG

Divide in half. Season pork butts with half, add the other half to mix when mixing boudin.

To make:
Season pork butts with 1/2 the seasoning. Brown off in a 5gal, jambalaya pot on all sides. when both are done, add onions and bell pepper to pot to sweat them down 10 minutes and deglaze the pot, pull drippings up. When onions are clear, add liver and garlic powder to pot and cook ~10 minutes. Add 4 cups green onions and return seared butts to pot. Add 1.25 gallons of water and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and add pork skins in boil bag to pot and cook for 2 hours. Remove pork skins and dump into a SS bowl, allow to cool slightly. Grind through 4.5 or 3mm plate. Return pork skins to pot to dissolve into gelatin. Continue simmering until bone pulls free and meat falls apart. Chop meat with pot paddle across the grain as pieces break loose. When all meat is good and tender, turn fire off and let cool. It will take 3.5~4 hours to cook the meat.

While pork is simmering-
slice green onions.
prep casings.
when pork is about an hour from being tender, cook rice either in a rice cooker or in the oven (1.5 cups water per cup of rice if cooking in oven. cook @ 350* for about 45 minutes. Turn oven off and reserve rice in oven to keep warm.

When pork is cooled off slightly, strain meat from pot into a 25# meat tote. Add the other half of seasoning evenly over meat. add rice and mix. add green onion and mix. add all liquid from pot and mix.

You can case immediately, or let it cool on ice. You can also leave some uncased as an appetizer with crackers. Also great as fried boudin balls. Great for breakfast too!

*edit to add:
I did not grind the meat. I like the texture of the meat just chopped with the jambalaya paddle, but you can grind it. spread on sheet pan to cool, then grind through a coarse plate. I recommend either 10mm or 12.5mm plate. Grind it too fine and it will have no texture and the mouth feel will be off.
I see pork shoulder butt is that the same thing?

Foamy's recent thread reminded me that I'm out of boudin. So time to make some!

I pulled two 7# butts out of the freezer early this morning to thaw. Started cooking around lunch. Pulled the old 5gal. cast iron heirloom pot out and fired her up. First seasoned butt inda pot...
View attachment 355824

about done on the first one. You want a really good sear on all sides. Don't worry about the charred seasoning, it's suppose to do that as it adds to the flavor.

View attachment 355826

Browned the second one the same way then set both roasts in the SS pan while I browned the onions, bell pepper, garlic. Forgot to snap a pic. as a rain shower popped up and I scrambled for cover under the carport.

While the onions were braising down and deglazing the pot, I put 1.5# of pork liver in the food processor to puree...
View attachment 355827
Once the veggies get a little color on them and pull the drippings off the pot, time to add the liver and brown it a little.
View attachment 355828
is a heirloom pot the only route to go? Is there a substitute I can use?

OK, HERE WE GO!!!

Got the meat portioned out equally in 2 totes...

View attachment 355856

Fluffed the rice...

View attachment 355857
Added the rest of the seasoning between the two totes...
View attachment 355858

split the rice and add in...
View attachment 355859

Mix it up, then add the green onions...almost forgot the pic, I mixed the tote on the right.

View attachment 355861
And it's mixed. I split the remaining stock in the pot between both totes and mixed it up again.

It's done. Time to sample it!

View attachment 355864

Gotta let it cool, then pack into gallon ziplock bags and on ice to let the gelatin set, then I can case.
Im making it right now, I was wondering how much stock was I suppose to preserve?

Im making it right now, I was wondering how much stock was I suppose to preserve?
I didn’t measure it, and to me, that’s the tricky part. Too much and your mix will be mushy but you don’t want it dry. You want sort of a creamy but not too wet of texture. To be honest, I think I got my first batch a little too moist. We thoroughly enjoyed it though.

I didn’t measure it, and to me, that’s the tricky part. Too much and your mix will be mushy but you don’t want it dry. You want sort of a creamy but not too wet of texture. To be honest, I think I got my first batch a little too moist. We thoroughly enjoyed it though.
Got it. Was I suppose to simmer the stock down to the amount of juice needed or wait till the meat are falling apart tender and then strain the stock and only use what I need?

I think that's what threw me off because I wasn't sure if I was suppose to simmer it down to the water level needed. I'm guessing I have to strain the broth after the meat is falling off the bones and throw in more of the juice into the mix while mixing up the rice and meat together until I get a creamy consistency. Right? Lol sorry this is my first time making it.

I think that's what threw me off because I wasn't sure if I was suppose to simmer it down to the water level needed. I'm guessing I have to strain the broth after the meat is falling off the bones and throw in more of the juice into the mix while mixing up the rice and meat together until I get a creamy consistency. Right? Lol sorry this is my first time making it.
Yes, you are exactly right. And it’s ok, fire away.

Swamp, very nice post, I have never made this before but just might have to give it a try I’m sure I will like it.

Here is a interesting story about boudin that I read in a book of mine. When the Lewis and Clark expedition first came through the area where I live (Montana) on their exploration of the Louisiana purchase. They started to encounter bison. Obviously they had never seen any before or even knew what they were, but the camp cook who was a Cajun took some of the meat and made Boudin with it. From the notes left by Lewis and Clark everyone was just delighted with how good it was.

Cal

Fantastic thread Swamp! I'm a little obsessed with boudin and have spent a few happy days chasing around LA trying different versions (several great places in and near Lafayette, and I'd also put Juneau's in Marksville right up there). Have not been able to get back to cajun country for a few years and have been disappointed with every order I've had shipped in. After I get a better handle on the new smoker (why I'm here) I will have to work my way towards the sausage making equipment so I can satisfy that boudin craving. Then I'll looking for chaurice too... :emoji_sunglasses:
Thanks for the awesome thread. So much good info on this forum!

Swamp, very nice post, I have never made this before but just might have to give it a try I’m sure I will like it.

Here is a interesting story about boudin that I read in a book of mine. When the Lewis and Clark expedition first came through the area where I live (Montana) on their exploration of the Louisiana purchase. They started to encounter bison. Obviously they had never seen any before or even knew what they were, but the camp cook who was a Cajun took some of the meat and made Boudin with it. From the notes left by Lewis and Clark everyone was just delighted with how good it was.

Cal
That's Awesome smokininthegarden!!

Talked to my uncle last week... he recommends 15-18% moisture in the boudin mix prior to stuffing. That would be about 7.5-9 cups of liquid stock mixed into the finished boudin for this size batch...
[/QUOTE

Is this after straining the meat and putting the rice in to mix?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky